Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kindle Fire - anyone got one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
27 Oct 2012 - 11:46 PM

Mine arrived this morning. Postie had wedged it in the letter box and left, not even bothered ringing the doorbell.
Amazon have refunded the postage.
Royal Mail sucks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Oct 2012 - 11:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 4:20 PM

That is bad Bri, glad you got the post refunded, but maybe a word to the local sorting office?

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 10:26 AM

Any initial thoughts on the Fire HD?

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 101496 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 11:16 AM

I have an Ipad 2 and the Kindle Fire HD. The Ipad I have had for over 18 months and I have used it everyday and I wouldn't be without it. The Kindle had to overcome that.

One big difference I noticed immediately is that the screen on the Kindle appears to show colours much warmer than the Ipad.

Being an HD device the pictures are crisper as is text, but this is against my Ipad 2 that does not have the retina display.

I bought the Kindle Fire HD for portability and for this it serves my purpose very well, although it does feel heavier then I antipicipated (I do have a case on it).

Although Amazon advertise 50000 apps, I have attempted to find some that I know are availble on Android marketplace but they are not available on Amazon apps, not a deal breaker for me as I didn't buy it to load up with pointless apps. I do have the main ones that I require for now.

My daughter has the Nexus, the OS feels a little messy and over complicated but you do get all the android apps you could wish for and the screen is on a par with the Kindle. Incidentally you do not get inundated with ads and offers from Amazon, just one on the lockscreen and links to direct you to amazon for music etc, much like apple does with iTunes.

Overall I prefer the Ipad, probably because I am used to it, but the Kindle is easy and intuitive to use and I'm pleased with the it, especially knowing that the Ipad mini is likely to cost about 110 more.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi Keith, I had a chance to play with the Fire HD and the Nexus. I would say if you device is just to look at content bought from Amazon, the Fire is great, but if you want a more general usable device the Nexus is better with its more classical use of Android. Both have excellent displays. For reading a book I would still take an eBook reader over the Android devices or an iPad.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 7:41 AM

Thanks you two. I'm steering towards Samsung and Google.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 1:51 AM

I bought a Kobo Glo Touch this afternoon, and so far it is just what I need, it has what the Sony ereaders were missing, a super functional built-in reading light, that does exactly what it's supposed to. It has an expansion slot, and it's wifi capable, which I doubt I'll use. As strictly a reader, it rocks. I had read a user review where the author said it was too proprietary, and he returned it. I started Calibre, plugged in the Glo, and it came up ""Device Ready." I have since put a good collection of my books on it, and I'm waiting for it to fully charge.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 9:41 PM

Well its going back to Amazon, just completely froze - couldnt even turn it off! All credit to Amazon though they sent a replacement the day after complaining about it. I managed to get a look at this one on the pretext of trying to set it up 'properly' for my son ... I am now addicted to AngryBirds in Space Grin Hoping this one doesnt have a dicky fit because I think i could get used to this little device.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 11:06 PM

There should be a tiny hole on the bottom or top edge, just use a pin to push in there and reset it. Happens to my Sonys and also happened to my recently purchased Kobo Glo. You'd better find where the reset button is, or you're going to have problems.Smile

Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 7 Nov 2012 - 11:07 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109964 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 11:14 PM

Quote: I am now addicted to AngryBirds in Space

I've just replaced my original Samsung 7" TAB with an Asus 300T Transformer (a toss up between that and the IPad 3) and put "ABS" on - its a really compulsive game isn't it Grin

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 11:23 PM

Quote: its a really compulsive game isn't it

sure is Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.