Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Kingfishers

mshulver1 3 20 United Kingdom
2 May 2012 6:02PM
hi,

i was just wondering if people know any good places to capture or just see kingfishers in Kent area? I guess the many rivers but does anyone know of any specific sites?

thanks

Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 May 2012 6:32PM
May be a few ideas here .
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
2 May 2012 7:12PM
Now isn't the best time to photograph Kingfishers as it's the peak of their breeding season. Any disturbance, even if it's unintentional, can have a detrimental effect on their breeding success. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh and I'm not insinuating in any way that you personally have any intention of causing disturbance, but it's a point well worth noting before setting out with the intention of photographing these birds, or any other species in fact.
Winter is a much better time anyway, as the leafless trees make spotting them and their favourite perches, much easier.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
2 May 2012 11:03PM
You might want to add that as a 'schedule 1' species, if you are found guilty of disturbing the birds at or near their nest without a licence, you might incur a very large penalty.....

RSPB:

Quote:The maximum penalty that can be imposed for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - in respect of a single bird, nest or egg - is a fine of up to 5,000, and/or six months' imprisonment.

Application form: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/appexamples.aspx

Nick
2 May 2012 11:15PM
Blimey, this is a bit OTT, as I have a degree in countryside management, work as a countryside warden, RSPB member need I say more, I know all this probably better than most, wildlife and countryside act 1981 is what your referring to. Is not as if I'm gonna stick my camera lens down their nest hole, just seeing them fly past!!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 May 2012 11:39PM

Quote:Blimey, this is a bit OTT

This is EPZ, you know! Grin

Quote:I have a degree in countryside management, work as a countryside warden, RSPB member need I say more

No but you didn't say that upfront. In any case the info Justin and Nick have given may be useful to other readers of this thread. Smile
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
2 May 2012 11:48PM
Sorry..

Quote:I'm just a point and shoot photographer and nature/wildlife is my passion! Just upgraded to a D90!

Nothing to suggest any of this background on your profile....Just trying to protect the birds.

You may (or may not) be surprised what stupidity I have seen in the pursuit of photography, including a local photographic group sharing the location of a Bittern nesting site (in Norfolk). Guess what? They all trooped down there over a bank holiday weekend and disturbed the site and the birds, who never returned to the nest.
2 May 2012 11:59PM
I'll update it asap! back to the original question anyone?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 May 2012 12:02AM

Quote:back to the original question anyone?

Er, I thought I'd given a pointer?
3 May 2012 12:04AM

Quote: Er, I thought I'd given a pointer?

yeah thanks the last one on there is the village I live in , can't say i've ever seen a kingfisher on the marshes, but i'll have walk down there Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
3 May 2012 12:36AM
Stodmarsh has to be a favourite, although I not sure they still get any there........The Stoddy Noddy Tongue as it was nicknamed used to make regular appearances on/in the galleries on EPZ, hell even I have a shot of it in my p/f somewhere!

Ade
Lynx08 e2
6 1.2k England
3 May 2012 7:42AM
The Wetlands Centre at Arundel is a good place. I saw my first one there last year.

Oh and it's a great place for a day out wandering between the reed beds with birds and moths adn dragonflies all around.

cheers
Lyn
3 May 2012 12:39PM
My last visit there exposed how useless I am with a long lens! Other than the 'sitting ducks' I never got a flight in frame. SadSmile

Must make another visit some day.Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.