Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kingfishers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mshulver1
    mshulver1  3 United Kingdom
    2 May 2012 - 6:02 PM

hi,

i was just wondering if people know any good places to capture or just see kingfishers in Kent area? I guess the many rivers but does anyone know of any specific sites?

thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 May 2012 - 6:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 6:32 PM

May be a few ideas here.

justin c
    justin c  104525 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 7:12 PM

Now isn't the best time to photograph Kingfishers as it's the peak of their breeding season. Any disturbance, even if it's unintentional, can have a detrimental effect on their breeding success. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh and I'm not insinuating in any way that you personally have any intention of causing disturbance, but it's a point well worth noting before setting out with the intention of photographing these birds, or any other species in fact.
    Winter is a much better time anyway, as the leafless trees make spotting them and their favourite perches, much easier.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41202 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

You might want to add that as a 'schedule 1' species, if you are found guilty of disturbing the birds at or near their nest without a licence, you might incur a very large penalty.....

RSPB:

Quote: The maximum penalty that can be imposed for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - in respect of a single bird, nest or egg - is a fine of up to 5,000, and/or six months' imprisonment.

Application form: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/appexample...

Nick

mshulver1
    2 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Blimey, this is a bit OTT, as I have a degree in countryside management, work as a countryside warden, RSPB member need I say more, I know all this probably better than most, wildlife and countryside act 1981 is what your referring to. Is not as if I'm gonna stick my camera lens down their nest hole, just seeing them fly past!!!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Quote: Blimey, this is a bit OTT

This is EPZ, you know! Grin

Quote: I have a degree in countryside management, work as a countryside warden, RSPB member need I say more

No but you didn't say that upfront. In any case the info Justin and Nick have given may be useful to other readers of this thread. Smile

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41202 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Sorry..

Quote: I'm just a point and shoot photographer and nature/wildlife is my passion! Just upgraded to a D90!

Nothing to suggest any of this background on your profile....Just trying to protect the birds.

You may (or may not) be surprised what stupidity I have seen in the pursuit of photography, including a local photographic group sharing the location of a Bittern nesting site (in Norfolk). Guess what? They all trooped down there over a bank holiday weekend and disturbed the site and the birds, who never returned to the nest.

mshulver1
    2 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'll update it asap! back to the original question anyone?

Carabosse
    3 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Quote: back to the original question anyone?

Er, I thought I'd given a pointer?

mshulver1
    3 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

Quote: Er, I thought I'd given a pointer?

yeah thanks the last one on there is the village I live in , can't say i've ever seen a kingfisher on the marshes, but i'll have walk down there Smile

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Stodmarsh has to be a favourite, although I not sure they still get any there........The Stoddy Noddy Tongue as it was nicknamed used to make regular appearances on/in the galleries on EPZ, hell even I have a shot of it in my p/f somewhere!

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 3 May 2012 - 12:37 AM
    Lynx08
    Lynx08 e2 Member 61233 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
    3 May 2012 - 7:42 AM

The Wetlands Centre at Arundel is a good place. I saw my first one there last year.

Oh and it's a great place for a day out wandering between the reed beds with birds and moths adn dragonflies all around.

cheers
    Lyn

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

My last visit there exposed how useless I am with a long lens! Other than the 'sitting ducks' I never got a flight in frame. SadSmile

Must make another visit some day.Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.