Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kit Buying Guide.... avoid "pointless purchases"

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm as guilty as everyone for buying kits which only got used once, then put away to gather dust.

I have a drawer full of bits and bobs - Cokin A filters, macro filters, old pointless flashes.

I've managed to reduce the amount of "clutter" by asking myself a few simple questions...

So thought I'd share them on t'Blog - here's wot I wrote....

Any other tips for people on the "must buy buy buy...." phase of their photographic evolution

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jun 2013 - 10:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 10:40 AM

BY THE WAY - the lens on the camera in the blog is a 500 F4.5L - old skool.... gets used every now and then... it's first on the "for sale" list when that tight month comes along Wink

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8993 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 10:42 AM

nice little blog post and im sure many people are guilty of buying crap they will never use, but god are you starting to sound like ken rockwell. Tongue

I will send emails to selected members of my old camera club that really could do with reading that post.
Ie buy a 5dmk3 and 50mm 1.2 lens complete studio kit and don't even no how to use manual mode nor a light meter. Or 500mm lens hide etc and sit in their conservatory i **** you not.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 22 Jun 2013 - 10:47 AM
ade_mcfade
22 Jun 2013 - 10:46 AM

who's he?

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8993 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 10:47 AM

Ade i added some examples of what you mention to my last post.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 22 Jun 2013 - 10:50 AM
ade_mcfade
22 Jun 2013 - 10:59 AM

AH COOL - cheers

I'm getting more and more people asking me this stuff on Facebook, hence the blog.

I've got a "regular" who's hugely limited by her tripod, to the point where she's chopping the front off cars and getting horrible horizons just because it's too hard to change her tripod... it's a 10 jobby out of Argos. I tried it and very nearly snapped it over my knee and threw it away!

in that situation, I found her great little tripod and ball head combo in Hull, on EBAY, completely changed everything for 120....

I guess point 6 could be - "Are you being limited by your kit?"

GarethRobinson
22 Jun 2013 - 11:16 AM

I think 90% of the time people are not limited by their kit, but by their lack of knowledge of the kit they own.

GarethRobinson
22 Jun 2013 - 11:23 AM

Posted a link on my clubs site Ade if you want it removed just say.

http://www.antrimcameraclub.org.uk/

ade_mcfade
22 Jun 2013 - 11:26 AM

entirely agree

the tripod issue is the only common issue I've suggested new kit for - to many people actually, new people come on workshops and you see them struggling like an escapeologist in a bag to compose a shot.... I put my hot-shoe on their camera and let them have a go with my dinky little Giottos travel tripod and ball head... it's an epiphany in most cases.

Other things...

Do you need a 150 Canon angle-finder, or would a 30 Seagull do the trick?

ade_mcfade
22 Jun 2013 - 11:27 AM

Very kind Gareth - we write blogs for them to be read, to always great to get them out to a wider audience. Be interested to hear what they think Smile

Dave_Canon
22 Jun 2013 - 12:23 PM

All very sensible but I do this anyway. I never buy on impulse and only buy to meet a specific need. This is rather boring but I have money because I have not wasted it in the past and thus have the opportunity to buy in the future if I need something. I just wonder whether the impulse buyers would read your blog.

Dave

ade_mcfade
22 Jun 2013 - 12:37 PM

True - that's why I wrote the first line Wink

If your motivation is based around acquisition of new kit, brilliant, go for it.

I love stuff like yesterday - World Curry Festival and the ceremonial opening of a homeless charity's training kitchen.

Met the mayor, loads of councillors and Hardeep Singh Kholi.

I used a 5D mark 2, 70-200F2.8 L-IS, 17-40 and a few shots with the 85 F1.8. Also used off camera flash - front with softbox, bare rear, to create a bit of magic on a few of the shots. The flashes were manual Yongnuo triggered by Yongnuo 603 triggers (which I'm trialling as they're a bargain!) and the stands were made by Calumet and I forget the other one's manufacturer. My kit was in a lowepro bag, with a 5D body, selection of batteries, flash gels, filters by Cokin and several other brands........ yawn.... zzzzzzzzzzzz

For me, meeting Hardeep and chatting about curry for a couple of minutes, then getting him to these charity "sleeping rough" bags was far more interesting than the kit I had with me.

Maybe a 16-35 F2.8L would have been better than the 17-40 F4L ?

Perhaps I should have ETTL poacket wizzareds and Canon 580EX2 flashes.... or even Elinchrom Ranger Quadras...

Anyway - had literally 1 minute to light and set this up.... probably shows Wink

-mg-4325.jpg

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 12:44 PM

No so much pointless items I have, although like most folk I'm sure I have as many as the next person......But things that have been superseded by newer technology that I just can't bear to either throw out or get rid of.....

CF and SD cards being a case in point, I've a whole raft of low capacity cards I just won't throw away, because when I bought the things all those years ago, they were expensive and I keep saying to myself one day I'll find a use for them........A 4MB CF card....Really! Blush

Cables is case in point, I've a whole box of cables that will fit absolutely nothing in the loft, can't throw them out though Blush

Tripods.....I've half a dozen I don't use! Won't throw them away either Blush

Did think once that I'd put all the crud on EBAY, knowing some fool will buy it, but can't be arsed with all the hassle! I'm going to have to do something soon though as were intending to move and the house is on the market.....Think I'll just chuck the whole lot into a box and do a car boot sale somewhere, someone will bag a bargain, or will end up living with more crap than they need because they think they're buying a bargain GrinGrinGrinGrin

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43929 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 1:18 PM

Quote: ...someone will bag a bargain, or will end up living with more crap than they need because they think they're buying a bargain

LOL

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2013 - 1:56 PM

Not having vast sums of money to chuck around it takes me weeks or months to buy anything. Absolutely ages looking for the best price and then really having to weigh up the decision based on need rather than want. I did decide to get the Rogue Grid System today as I have nothing else that will do the job I want it to do. I decided against the cheapo versions in the end as this has got to last a good few years. I bought my studio lights in 2007 and although there are some amazing new products out now mine still work perfectly well, are pretty robust and in very regular use. They'll do for a bit longer! Wink

I did buy a lens on ebay a couple of years ago that is pretty redundant and a crappy, cheap ND grad filter system. Used a few times but they scratched easily so had to go.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.