Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kit Buying Guide.... avoid "pointless purchases"

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jun 2013 - 11:54 PM

Quote: That is what I thought, a quick trip to WH Smiths Smile

Looks like Ade got ripped off.

Still puzzled by Ades comment saying light benders make great gobos, are Ade`s full of holes or something, guess they must be.

I watched Thingy Hobby's videos and he called these things "gobos" - no idea what the official name is - they kinda stop the flash being seen by the camera? so I'm guessing what I assumed the term meant, and what it really means, is different.

does the term "dingles" mean anything? heard the Lovegrove use the term once

I'm **** at craft and diy, if I made something like these things, it'd probbaly break something expensive and I'd end up in hospital

12 well spent Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jun 2013 - 11:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314909 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:01 AM

I think your on about flags, used for blocking, flagging off light, Gobos are used for shaping light, have a look at this, its a bit late for looking for good examples, hope this one`s good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s5YkNwSO2Y8#!

Quote: does the term "dingles" mean anything? heard the Lovegrove use the term once

I have no idea, I`ve probably come across it under a different nameSmile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jun 2013 - 12:16 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314909 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:38 AM

Quote: I'm **** at craft and diy, if I made something like these things, it'd probbaly break something expensive and I'd end up in hospital

Nah some of its so simple you don`t even need glue, how about a 5 minute flash grid, all you need is a roll of electrical tape and a handful of straws.

dscf7231.jpg

Dark tape and straws will be better ( this is just for demonstration) un-roll a length of electrical tape, sticky side up, and cut and position straws along its lengh so it resembles something like an amunition belt.

Its going to be tightly wrapped so make sure its long enough to roll up and tape down, the length will need to be long enough so when rolled it will be big enough to cover your flash head.

dscf7233.jpg
1-dscf7234.jpg

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2013 - 12:47 AM

too hard

get some Chinese type to make one instead

Smile

Paul Morgan
26 Jun 2013 - 2:22 AM

That could be interesting Smile

Canonshots
26 Jun 2013 - 8:18 AM

Another possible question one might ask oneself is "If it broke down, would I be upset?" If the answer is no, then flog it on ebay before it does break down.

RavenTepes
26 Jun 2013 - 7:02 PM

I have a friend who runs everything by me when it comes to camera equipment so she doesn't make a senseless purchase.

To be fair, she's just now making the switch to digital SLR's (At 32 years old). She had sold her film kit to a friend and picked up a some kind of a Canon superzoom hybrid. I'm thinking it was an SX 50HS or something like that, and after a few months of shooting on that, she decided that it was time to come to me to enter the digital world of DSLR's. While I make no secret that I'm a Nikon guy, she likes her Canon gear, and I wasn't about to sway her on that. What works for me doesn't work for everyone else (which is why I hate the "Who's better" debate). But even with me liking my Nikon's, that doesn't mean I don't research everything under the sun (mostly out of boredom, actually...and it interests me to know what other manufacturers are coming out with and what Nikon is competing against). So I made a few body suggestions like a 7D, 5D Mk III, 60D, and and after handleing a few cameras, she liked the 100D for sheer size and weight reasons. It's a respectable camera and produces better images than I expected, even after looking at a few reviews on it! It's FUN!!! Had me tempted...

At any rate though, yesterday, she found a very nice deal on a used Canon 14mm 2.8L for roughly 650 GBP (taking in account I'm American, its actual price was $1000 USD, which I figured its rough exchange rate).

While it was a very nice find, my reaction was pretty straight forward.

"If you want wide angle, save your money and get an EF-S 10-22. The 14mm lens is designed for a full frame sensor body, and since you have a crop sensor (100D), that would effectively give you a 22mm lens on your camera. It'd be a waste. The 10-22 would give you true wide angle because it's designed for your body type".

She basically said that's why she keeps me around.

I try to be sensible on equipment. I take into account what's already there, what holes there might be, what it's usage would be, and so forth. Sadly, I do this with everything in life (Hey, I'm a Taurus. That particular stereotype is true with me, though I wouldn't say I'm cheap. No...I just try to be practical) But hey. I can justify 2 tilt-shift lenses!

Last Modified By RavenTepes at 26 Jun 2013 - 7:08 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.