Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kit for film development

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
16 May 2012 - 9:37 AM

I have several old film cameras rollieflex, olympus, hasselblad etc.
I have got my grandson interested in phtography but I feel that if I started him on Film he would actually learn more about available light levels, exposure control, compositon etc, as its all too easy to blast of randomly with digital and then process to get a decent image.
However I also want him to expierience the MAGIC of the darkroom as I still remember peering over the table edge at the images appearing in the developping tank in my late fathers darkroom, why did mum call it a bathroom?
So where can I buy the neccesary equipment I.E enlarger, tanks, chemicals etc, and does anyone know the likely costs of a start up outfit?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 May 2012 - 9:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 9:46 AM

ebay is you best route, but enlargers are usually pick up only. So you should do a search using distance nearest as the first option.
It would be better to buy a model that covers 35mm and medium format as you have cameras in both formats.
I wrote a guide to the kit you need many years ago which is still useful today
What you need to make a darkroom print
And I also wrote a similar one as a guide to what you need to develop films
Regarding enlarger I'd recommend either a Meopta Opemus 6 or LPL 6600 (up to 6x6) or 6700 (up to 6x7) I've owned both and they are solid and versatile.

If you need any more help give us a shout Smile

bill777
bill777 e2 Member 11159 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 9:47 AM

A good place to start might be here. Prices are pretty good and if he gets really enthusiastic he can always upgrade the equipment as he goes along. Depending on where you live there might be something closer to home of course.

It's a magical adventure and you just can't beat the smell of those chemicals Grin

Bill

orangejuice
16 May 2012 - 9:50 AM

I have an LPL7700 colour enlarger and some dishes looking for a new home

NEWDIGIT
16 May 2012 - 9:55 AM

Thanks Pete just had a quick glimpse at your two guides.
I had forgot just how much kit you actually need all the odd bits and bobs.
No matter my wife actually prommised my daughter I would teach grandson how to do it so now I can buy ALL the kit I WANT as its HER fault YIPPEE.Off to the shops this afternoon to start putting some prices together will also look on flea bay

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Quote: I had forgot just how much kit you actually need all the odd bits and bobs.

Yes there is a lot, but the way I wrote the guides gave alternatives to many of the items so you can scrape by with quite little if you want Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

The problem will be finding the enlarger.
I am sure there are many on here that have one for disposal. One member on here has a garage full having been given unwanted ones.

You could try the classified on here for `wanted.`

Darkroom magic can be had without an enlarger such as photograms where the behaviour of exposure on the paper can be useful.

`.

NEWDIGIT
16 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Gerry what prices are you asking also is the LPL7700 the condenser,dichronic, or VCCE model

mikehit
mikehit  46187 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

One thing to think of is disposal of chemicals etc. One reason my father in law (LRPS) was happy to switch to digital is that the the environmental laws were becoming a pain in the neck for him. I don't know how significant this is but it may be worth checking out before setting everything up.

thewilliam
16 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Do the laws governing disposal of spent photo chemicals now extend to amateurs?

The real tightening of the environmental regulations for professionals coincided with our move to digital so we weren't sorry to close our lab. The saddest part was scrapping the processing machinery because we couldn't give it away.

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5467 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Where do you live, I am just about to dispose of a whole kit and you would be welcome to it. I even have a whole box of chemicals to go with it
Ken

scottishphototours

Me too, all the kit except an enlarger in a box if you want it...

orangejuice
16 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

The enlarger has dichroic filters and 2 lenses, 50 & 80 mm Minolta C.E's. I'm open to offers and located in Ringwood Hampshire

keith selmes
17 May 2012 - 9:14 AM

Quote: Do the laws governing disposal of spent photo chemicals now extend to amateurs?

No.

advice from IlfordPhoto
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=48

"Disposing of Used Chemicals

It is important to be aware of local legislation relating to the disposal of chemicals.

Amateur and home users in the UK should dispose of small amounts of used photographic processing solutions by dilution with plenty of water and washing them down the drain.
Do not mix solutions.
It is not advisable to dispose of photographic chemicals to a septic tank."

Detailed advice from Kodak
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/j300.pdf
Commercial business and photographers must recover silver from photoprocessing effluent to meet sewer discharge limits established by POTWs.
Amateur photographers are not required to recover silver.

Discussion
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/87444-disposal-photographic-chemicals-kodak-r...

pentaxpete
17 May 2012 - 9:31 AM

A few Litres of spent fixer and developer goes down the toilet ( when the WIFE is not watching ) and flushed three times -- no worries -- It;'s not that even amateur amounts are going down EVERY DAY -- my fixers last MONTHS before I renew them so only a litre or so of print and film dev goes down after a printing session.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.