Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kit Lens upgraded required

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    22 Dec 2009 - 4:18 PM

Im looking to replace my kit lens that cname with my 350d, mainly because Ive started to do small amounts of portrait work. Ive already been out and bought the trusty 50mm 1.8 (a fantastic buy and must have for any bag), however the other day I found that I just couldnt get far enough back to get everything in the frame, so I want a fast lens so I can use the natural light and to throw the background out of focus.
    Ive got a few in mind, but just wanted other peoples views. My budget is upto about 350. I know a bit to ask.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Dec 2009 - 4:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Dec 2009 - 4:27 PM

I replaced my kit lens some while back with the Sigma 17-70mm. It has a variable aperture, starting at f/2.8 at the 17mm end rising to f/4.5 at the 70mm end.

They've just brought out an Optical Stabilised version so you might get the older version a bit cheaper. (Paid 220 well over a year ago).

Very versatile lens. Close focus to 20cm throughout the whole zoom range so you can focus on something almost touching the glass when you're zoomed in to the 70mm end.

Canon's "equivalent" range would be the 17-85mm IS. I think that is about 350. There's also the 17(or 18)-50mm f/2.8 offerings from Sigma and Tamron which many people rave about but I don't have any personal experience of these. Constant aperture is a bonus.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.