Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

KODAK rubbish printer and worse customer service

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jancookie
jancookie  225 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 - 12:14 PM

Wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem with Kodak printers as me. Our 7250 is only 20 months old but is now failing to print photographs - it seems to be solarising both colour and B&W prints. We contacted Kodak who basically told us to buy a new print head at £32 or get lost. Since getting this problem I've seen on 'Which' that of the major players in the printer field Kodak has the least reliablility, and have come across fora where posts indicate that the print head failure is an ongoing problem even after two or more replacements. My advice would be not to touch these with the longest lens you've got!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2012 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome
28 Jul 2012 - 1:05 PM

Yes, sent 2 back in the space of 6 Months to Comet the retailer, print head problem and a soft ware problem. They offered me another brand of similar price so I got an Epson.
I'm surprised a famous company like Kodak are letting their named product on the market which is clearly sub standard.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 - 10:04 PM

I hope you don't get the same problem that I had with my last epson printer.

The print heads would clog if I did not use the printer for for 3 days or more, then I would have to run the head cleaning program which would waste loads of really expensive Epson ink or print stuff at regular intervals that I did not really want print just to keep those dam print heads from clogging.

Maybe they've sorted this problem out now.

bigalguitarpicker
28 Jul 2012 - 11:35 PM

I'm on my third Epson printer. Never had a problem with heads clogging. Wouldn't dream of using Epson ink.

jancookie
29 Jul 2012 - 9:13 AM

Not just Kodak then. I've used Canon Pixma two varieties, and Epson in the past and don't recall any clogging problems. Maybe the software is outpacing the hardware now and either we need better inks or better print-heads. I'm also wondering if it as photographers we demand a higher quality print and the flaws just don't show up in plain old paper printing. Or (with my cynical hat on) is this a marketing ploy to make us upgrade to more expensive models?

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2012 - 9:31 PM

Kodak had a big advertising campaign telling us how economical their new printers were on ink.

Quite true - with clogged print heads they don't use any ink!

Perhaps it is their 'economical' inks that are causing the problems with the print heads?

Or vice versa?

Just a thought! Wink

jancookie
30 Jul 2012 - 7:37 AM

Mmm.. The inks are indeed cheaper to replace BUT I've had to buy replacement cartridges much more frequently than for Canon or Epson. The Kodak price is around £20 a pack compared to £60 for Canon, but Canon ink lasted around 6 months while I was drafting and redrafting loads of OU assignments, whereas now I have finished studying and not using the printer nearly so much I'm having to fork out £20 a month. Ultimately I am spending more on ink for the Kodak ink while using it less, than any other brand I've tried. I feel that I've been conned - especially now the wretched printer is on the blink.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 9:21 PM

I have had 2 Kodak printers, never again, cheaper ink but problem after problem, I use HP now and I am impressed with no complaints.

SteveBlanchard
10 Jan 2013 - 7:25 PM

I know this is an old post My ESP3.2 is working fine, just emptied my second blank ink cartridge since September. Only problem I have is I cannot get Corel PSP X5 to print & neither can other owners of Kodak printers and PSP X5!!!
Mind you if anyone can, be quick and let us know!

KBan
KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 8:12 PM

I've used a Kodak printer for about 2 years now, always used their ink and never had any problems at all.

i've always been pleased with the quality of the prints and even won annual competitions at my local camera club

Keith

mikejustis
12 Mar 2014 - 10:21 PM

I had an issue with my Kodak printer and was told it was my printhead. I got a new printhead. Still cruddy prints.
I just got off of a support call for my printer...I have to say to hear that my not very old printer is "broken" and "can't be fixed" but they will sell me a different one for 59.99 I was upset. I buy things to last more than 2 years especially a $159 + printer. Because of this I will not be buying a Kodak printer in the future and will tell everyone I know as well as multiple message boards to stay away from the Kodak printers unless they want one that last less than 2 years. Thanks!

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England61 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2014 - 11:16 PM

My Kodak worked fault free for 18 months then one day the print heads jammed never to move again, reasonable print quality but poor reliability and not as cheap to run as Kodak suggest……. maybe thats why Kodak no longer make printers.

Trev

Last Modified By Trev_B at 12 Mar 2014 - 11:16 PM
whitnig
12 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

i have a kodak ESP 5250 and i am afraid it has not been a good buy. The printer looses quality at the bottom of the page and recently i have had two printhead failures.
Kodak replace them free of charge but it takes about a week.

I will not buy a kodak printer again

lightshipman

I see this is an old post, and would like to see an updated take on the subject. but I am having trouble with my Kodak printer, it is the ESP5250. It has never printed decent photos really, to much blue, and also producing very pastel looking prints in general, to the extent I do not print images anymore as it is a waste of ink, however now it seems the print head is blocked, so will
be looking at another brand, so my question is, is Canon still the way to go, and which model around the £100.00 pound mark.? Would be willing to stretch to £150 for something highly recommended.
It is difficult to try a printer in the shops so you really take a chance unless you can visit a photo show and try a few out.

Last Modified By lightshipman at 22 Jun 2014 - 8:09 AM
Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2014 - 11:35 AM

All printers will get blocked heads if not used often. What type of things are you looking at printing just documents or are you looking at images too? If you are looking at pictures you have to consider the size of the ink cartridges.

I have a little Canon A4 printer which I use for letters etc, it actually produces quite good photo printing if you get the colour management side of things correct. The problem with the Canon or any other small printer is the size of the ink cartridges. I think the Canons are about 6ml each. I also run my own small printing and framing business so run a large format printer too, here the cartridges cost around £150 each but they hold 350ml of ink each so the cost per ml of ink is actually way cheaper. With smaller printers also consider the cost in ink, sometimes upping the budget will save you money in the long run. You will probably find with a lot of small A4 or A3 printer it can actually be more expensive to print your own stuff than it would be to have it printed elsewhere.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.