Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Kowa Prominar

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    frenchie44
    9 Jun 2012 - 8:51 PM

Has anyone here got the Kowa Prominar 500mm lens, or the other 2 versions 350mm & 850mm.
    i am interested in buying this lens, the sample shots are terrific, but it would be nice to hear from an actual user.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jun 2012 - 8:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 12:38 AM

Looking here it would this isn't a cheap lens, but its performance is questionable - certainly many of the images I saw on doing a google search were soft. Personally, if you are thinking of buying a 2000 lens I'd buy something with more reliable test data. You should be able to find a sigma 100-300 2.8 for this kind of money (this will take a x2 converter giving a 600 f4 (I think)). You would be likely get better results... Perhaps even a 300mm 2.8 prime??? All food for thought.

frenchie44
    10 Jun 2012 - 8:10 AM

I have the sigma 150-500 and it quite good, but when i saw some pics that someone posted on another site, i searched "Kowa Prominar " and ended up looking at some pictures this person who had just bought one, they were terrific far better than the sigma or my canon 70-200 L f4 could produce.
    i would like to find out what its like in use

frenchie44
    10 Jun 2012 - 8:24 AM

I have found the site where i first found the Kowa prominar, follow the link and scroll down. the pics are very good.
    http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191758

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 9:09 AM

I still think it is risky - but its your money. I would also respectively suggest that you examine you technique 1st. The sigma you have is as fast wide open as this lens at 500mm and I have seen results posted from both lenses equally as good (if not superior) on here from them. It took me a long time and a healthy slice of humble pie to realise why I wasn't getting sharp images from my 100-400 L.

Good luck - what ever you decide. (oh, and if you do go for - remember to post what you think)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.