Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Kowa Prominar

frenchie44 8 239 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2012 8:51PM
Has anyone here got the Kowa Prominar 500mm lens, or the other 2 versions 350mm & 850mm.
i am interested in buying this lens, the sample shots are terrific, but it would be nice to hear from an actual user.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2012 12:38AM
Looking here it would this isn't a cheap lens, but its performance is questionable - certainly many of the images I saw on doing a google search were soft. Personally, if you are thinking of buying a 2000 lens I'd buy something with more reliable test data. You should be able to find a sigma 100-300 2.8 for this kind of money (this will take a x2 converter giving a 600 f4 (I think)). You would be likely get better results... Perhaps even a 300mm 2.8 prime??? All food for thought.
10 Jun 2012 8:10AM
I have the sigma 150-500 and it quite good, but when i saw some pics that someone posted on another site, i searched "Kowa Prominar " and ended up looking at some pictures this person who had just bought one, they were terrific far better than the sigma or my canon 70-200 L f4 could produce.
i would like to find out what its like in use
10 Jun 2012 8:24AM
I have found the site where i first found the Kowa prominar, follow the link and scroll down. the pics are very good.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191758
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2012 9:09AM
I still think it is risky - but its your money. I would also respectively suggest that you examine you technique 1st. The sigma you have is as fast wide open as this lens at 500mm and I have seen results posted from both lenses equally as good (if not superior) on here from them. It took me a long time and a healthy slice of humble pie to realise why I wasn't getting sharp images from my 100-400 L.

Good luck - what ever you decide. (oh, and if you do go for - remember to post what you think)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.