Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lab printing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
tomcat606
tomcat606  596 forum posts
27 May 2012 - 9:20 PM

Hi All

Can someone help me regarding the best way to send photos to a print lab , things like format, size I'm looking to get some A4 prints, and basically anything else to get them back looking like the original

Thanks SteveWink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 May 2012 - 9:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
27 May 2012 - 9:34 PM

Looking like the original?

I take it you mean looking fairly similar to how the image looks on your computer monitor.

So the first thing is to ensure that your monitor is correctly calibrated. Otherwise, you are on a loser before you start.

Photo lab for A4 prints? I have not done the calculations but printers are so cheap nowadays, that you may find that it does not take many "professional" prnts before you have spent more than the cost of a printer. If you had your own printer, you could use something like a ColorMunki to cross-calibrate your monitor and printer to ensure that you got the results you wanted.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 May 2012 - 9:34 PM
danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 10473 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
27 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Send them to Proam in Bradford. Have a look at their website or ring them...They are extremely good and extremely helpful.

collywobles
28 May 2012 - 9:32 AM

Redwood Photographic near Colchester are a professional print lab - highly recommeded

Bluke
Bluke  9303 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 6:16 PM

Send them to Pro-am in Bradford... this printers I recommend as well..I have dealt with them for years .... not had a bit of bother...

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 6:49 PM

if the printers are any good they should have a printer profile for you to download so that your screen looks how the print will come out. Smile dscl

iPrintPhoto
2 Jun 2012 - 10:12 PM

Try Riley Dunn & Wilson in Huddersfield, ask for Chris...

anniecambridge

you should send them to MCL nr Manchester a friend of a friend recommended them. I didn't have a clue and the sorted me out with some lovely prints

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
4 Jul 2012 - 4:30 PM

DS Colourlabs Ltd also have a good reputation (and before Carabosse jumps on this thread, I have nothing to do with them whatsover Wink )

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 5:21 PM

Hmmm................. Lol! Grin

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 - 11:42 PM

Make sure your monitor is calibrated first so the photo will at least look like what your send them. Then make sure you use the correct colour profile for the lab. I use DS Colour Lab and you can download the profile for the paper options they have. Upload the highest resolution jpeg file you want to print. You should stand a good chance of getting back what you see on your monitor.

User_Removed
6 Jul 2012 - 10:47 AM

What did you eventually do, Tomcat?

And were you pleased with the result?

User_Removed
7 Jul 2012 - 5:40 PM

A friend of a friend told me to stay well clear of MCL labs near Manchester

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64380 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 6:06 PM

Has anyone tried Simlab? A pro photographer came to our club and recommended them, and I must say his own prints looked fab. And reasonable prices too.

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2012 - 8:46 AM

Gave Simlab a go.

The prints were cheap but thay have a 5 minimum order and only deliver via courier, at a cost 6, this was not made clear on the website.

Ok if you a large order but not for someone like me who does lots of little orders.

It will still have to photobox.

Barry

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.