Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lab Website to Sell Event Photos

johnp 10 141 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2009 10:32AM
I have been asked to cover a cycling event, taking photos of each of about 200 riders. They will have numbers on their handlebars, which I can then use for identification purposes..

I need a lab website that I can put my photos on in numerical order (I can prefix file name with rider number) so that people can order and pay for their photos online, and the lab will send them out direct to the cyclists and send the balance to me.

Please can anyone recommend a suitable lab?

It's quite possible that each rider may have 4 photos to choose from - 2 photographers and the event is in 2 halves. Does that pose any difficulties?

Cheers

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Apr 2009 12:56PM
Try a photobox pro gallery . I don't use this photobox service, but can recommend them for printing.
richard00 8 504 1
19 Apr 2009 3:02PM
If you use Photobox I think you need to upload every photo you are selling at the right size and quality for the print sizes you offer - you'd be uploading huge amounts of data to do it right (most don't), plus have to spend a fair bit of time editing (based on getting the best result possible and not making do with what the camera chucks out - poor weather and you might go RAW for example).

You really need the likes of Photium . Then you just do quick batch edits (if needed) & upload small (600x400px images). You only edit the actual orders this way (
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
19 Apr 2009 4:57PM
But you would have to edit the shots in the first place before uploading them (even if its only a smaller image) otherwise the buyer would get a slightly different looking shot to the quick processing straight out of camera. Also one would have to have already resized the shot for printing to ensure that it does meet the requirements for the print.
Thus whilst uploading is less initially (a good thing if your on a slower connection) the amount of editing work is still the same
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
19 Apr 2009 6:00PM
I agree, you have to present the final edited images so you have quite a task ahead. You need to factor this in when quoting.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
19 Apr 2009 8:55PM
I do cycling events all the time and use photium. I generally upload 1 or 2 of the best shots of each rider at a small size, but I do crop them, sharpen them and remove any distractions or snot etc before loading the small image. Then when they order, they know what they are getting and I do them individually. You won't get an order from every rider, only a few from each event. My hubby has been racing for over 20 years and has bought 2. Obviously has more now that I do it.
I've just finished sorting a race of about 250 riders from yesterday. I was out at the race, including driving time for 9 hours, 3 hour round trip, driving round the course to sus out a place to shoot from and then back to HQ for prize giving. Last night and today processing and then hopefully a few prints will be ordered. I usually cover petrol money + a bit. Never going to be rich, but I love the sport.
Are you getting paid to cover this one? I know that normally TT's are not paid, but BC events are if you're booked.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.