Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lake District meet - ideas

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:45 PM

Well like the title says - anyone interested in having a meet up in the Lake District - and anyone got any suggestions as to the where? I'm thinking something animaly/birdy - so a wildlife centre/park/zoo or some stretch of wildland somewhere? I ask since I am still new to the area and havn't got any idea where anything is.

So anyone?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:58 PM

Quote: animaly/birdy

LOL!!

If the dates are right, I would love to be able to come along. Smile

STUARTHILL758
    18 Oct 2009 - 2:33 PM

try barrow-in-furness ,we are on a peninsular down the end is the town you can over look the ship yard with a nuke sub in view ,at dalton four miles back there is the southlakes zoo you get very close to the animals ,there are views up to the lakedistrict from roanhead on the side of the duddon estuary on the opposite side is Morecambe bay lots of sea birds as you come off the m6 there is salmon jumping on the river kent by levens park they have bagots goats and deer more than can be seen in a day or week come and have a look

ripleysalien
    19 Oct 2009 - 10:15 AM

Could be up for this depending on dates

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2009 - 12:58 PM

Going to the lakes to take photos of a zoo is a bit like going to the grand canyon to take photos of flowers... missing the point a bit Wink

I was up there a week ago and we went down to the furness peninsula - it's nice, we looked into Broughton on Furness and the Duddon peninsual etc. but if you're after getting the most from the lakes, I'd be heading inland to Borrowdale/Wasdale/Langdale etc. as that's where you get the dramatic scenery.

For animals, there is a zoo as mentioned, I think there's some nice birdy places around carnfoth/morcambe area too. Martin Mere is quite famous and Chester Zoo is huge from what I can remember.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91080 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2009 - 1:18 PM

There's Settle Falconry Centre too, surprisingly, near Settle. I agree with Ade though.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2009 - 1:48 PM

The best weekends I've done in the lakes are:-

B&B or YHA in Ambleside or Keswick (as they have lots of pubs and options for night activities)

Pick locations in 2-3 different valleys so you can move between them if the weather is really bad in one - sometimes going over a pass gives you a new climate!

Be flexible and don't go in huge groups if you can help it - if you go in small packs of 3/4 in one car, then you can pull over on to verges and park easily for those shots you see as you're moving. if you're in convoy, you can't really do that.

If you really are keen to go in convoy, there are parking costs to take into account, and lots of people taking the same shot as each other - which isn't a problem, but the site will suffere the following week Smile

Take some food out with you - if you head out to Wrynose pass or other remote parts, you'll be nowhere near a shop for ages.

everyone operates in different ways - I'm sure many hardcore lakes togs set off from 1 spot and walk the whole day on the tops of the hills and only come down in the dark. I'm too unfit for that, and my kit bag too heavy, so tend to drive up passes then do mini walks to things - I find I get more variety in the day (though I did post about 5 shots of Blea Tarn last week!)

ade_mcfade
    20 Oct 2009 - 9:31 AM

Looks like I killed this thread - here's a "bump" for it Wink

ripleysalien
    20 Oct 2009 - 10:21 AM

Some good info Ade, thanks for that, i know a couple of us are planning a Lakes trip, for the Autumn colour in the next couple of weeks.

ade_mcfade
    20 Oct 2009 - 1:26 PM

It's good to get around a bit Steve

you've got lush, green areas around Windermere and harsh craggy areas around the passes - so much to see and capture - but you need to travel around a bit

Wasdale is really nice but it's a hell of a drive from most of the lakes as there's no pass to it, it's just a dead end.

but it's the most scenic with Bowfell and Scafell in the distance

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95932 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2009 - 2:42 PM

There is RSPB Leighton Moss near to Carnforth(As mentioned by Ade).

Hopefully calling in there for a few hours on the way back from Dumfries & Galloway, a week on Thursday Smile

Adrian

Last Modified By tomcat at 20 Oct 2009 - 2:43 PM
    dathersmith
    20 Oct 2009 - 11:19 PM

I don't think I'll be able to make it but if you're looking for Autumn colour check out the Forestry Commission web site for an update on the best locations.

Darren.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.