Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lancaster Bomber

Peter_West 3 206 United Kingdom
16 May 2013 9:21AM
Hello All. Just seen on morning news that today Lancaster Bomber, Spitfire and Tornado will be doing a low fly past over Derwent Reservoir to commemorate 70 years Dambuster Raid, if I’d known earlier I would have booked a day off work to photography just love the sounds of these planes and know what coming before I see them in sky, not sure on what time this is so if you live local just letting you know. Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
16 May 2013 9:28AM
Apparently they are blocking all road access up the reservoir. As its the 70th anniversary, they deemed it a 'health and safety' risk would you believe!!!!
AlanJ e2
1 495 England
16 May 2013 9:29AM
Hats off to the original crews
Alan
16 May 2013 9:34AM
Classic health and safety, !!!!! Tongue, just wished I'd known earlier I'm about 60mile away, but on afternoon shift anybody know what time it might be
16 May 2013 10:06AM
Between 1.00pm and 1.15pm

Linky
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
16 May 2013 10:43AM
Most likely it's not "Health and Safety." Well, it probably is - but not because the planes are unsafe. My friend who lives near went for the 60th anniversary and it took 5 hrs to get home. In other words the roads are too narrow and the result is chaos. The website Nigeyboy quotes says the following:

Quote:However, access will be severely restricted – no tickets are being issued, parking is severely limited, and the roads will be closed if they become overly busy.

So walk in!
Alan
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
16 May 2013 10:48AM
I think I'll stay at home and drink a bottle of Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (very nice beer) and toast the men who did it and especially those who didn't make it back.
Alan
16 May 2013 11:34AM
They also state the Lanc will go on to Chatsworth House - 'where there is ample parking'!!!
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 May 2013 2:21PM
for those who didn't go there's a video here: Flypast
16 May 2013 3:10PM
Amazing, nice day for it, wish i could have been there
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
17 May 2013 8:38AM
My mum was an engineer on Lancasters. Dirty, dangerous work with frequent enemy attacks and one or two from allied! (Won't say who for fear of upsetting our neighbours from across the pond!) She loved her time during the war. Not for the loss of life of course, that was horrific, but the friends she made and the opportunity to do a job that up until then was purely the male preserve. She is still going strong but at nearly 91 now I really wish she had written a book.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
17 May 2013 9:00AM
I was `privileged' to visit the Möhne Dam when I was a young exchange student in Germany. Whilst I had heard about it at the stage I didn't quite realise the significance of the damage to the Ruhr valley.

My hat is off to those guys, but think about why it was necessary and the impact it had.
johnke 1 55 9 South Africa
17 May 2013 9:41PM
I lived in Germany for three years and was also privileged to Visit Mohne. The bouncing Bomb by Barnes Wallace virtually stopped steel production for the German Army and bought an end to WW2 much sooner . Wallace Barnes lived in Alsager S.O.T. He is also responsible for engineering the design for today's Cave Bombs. I would love to see These WW2 planes again but its a little far for me to travel
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
17 May 2013 9:49PM

Not the best Lancaster image ever but Im guessing its the same aircraft that flys from duxford where i took the image
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
18 May 2013 6:11AM

Quote:Not the best Lancaster image ever but Im guessing its the same aircraft that flys from duxford where i took the image

It has to be - there is only one airworthy Lanc in the UK and only one other in the world, in Canada.

There is one in taxiable condition at East Kirkby, at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, which they are working on in the hope that they will be able to get her flying again.
Rather aptly for this week that aircraft, NX611, spent ten years as the gate guardian at RAF Scampton.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.