Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Landscape Lens for D700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    derbyshirelass
    19 Aug 2011 - 1:35 PM

Hi
    I'm currently using a Nikon 24-85mm (1:2.8-4 D) on my D700. The problem is that it can dwarf significant distant features. Although, I'm not able to upgrade my landscape lens just yet, it would be nice to start dreaming.
    Any recommendations for a good landscape lens that will still allow me to use my Lee filters.
    Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Aug 2011 - 1:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    19 Aug 2011 - 1:55 PM

The three Nikkor lenses that I use most for landscapes are, in order of frequency:

24-70 f/2.8
    70-200 f/2.8
    16-35 f/4

Happily they all use the same filter size.

The problem in giving a more specific reply to your question is that "landscape" covers such a wide range of possibilities and the lens used will often depend upon the desired perspective - sometimes you will want to "go wide" to get big skies and a depth of field that allows imposing foregrounds. At other times you will want to foreshorten the perspective to avoid losing distant features.

I went through a phase of using wide angle and low viewpoint but now find myself using the longer end of the 70-200mm more and more for landscapes.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Aug 2011 - 1:56 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2011 - 2:37 PM

Is there such a thing as a " Landscape " lens......Smile

Surely you point whatever lens your using at a landscape view, Fill the frame with a nice composition, Or at least fill the frame as best as the focal length of the lens will allow.

If distant features are to small at the wide end, Try the longer end ( 85mm ) Yeah! I know thats kinda obvious.....LOL....Grin But not to all....Sad

The problem is that when you do change the focal length you also alter the composition....!!!

So maybe, If the distant feature is your main interest or dare I say it, " Focal Point " .....Grin What about moving nearer to the subject of interest, Yep! Thats kinda obvious too....Sad

If you just can't decide or are unable to move close enough, The obvious thing is to use a longer focal length to enable this option.

Maybe you need something like a Nikon 28-300mm....Smile That pretty much covers every eventuality.....!!!

The boom in mega wide views is still ongoing, Despite the distortion etc, But for many a happy camper landscapes were done using nothing more than a bog standard 50mm f/1.8.

That said I have done landscapes using a Sigma 150 - 500mm........Grin

Choices choices.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 19 Aug 2011 - 2:38 PM
    Daffy1
    Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
    19 Aug 2011 - 5:14 PM

I usually use my 24-70 f/2.8 as I find the "wide" angle lens make the "distant" view too small and the "near" view too big. Sometime I use my 70-200 and get very good results. There is no such thing as a "Landscape" lens , you pick the lens to suit the "view" not the "view" to suit the lens. Damian

derbyshirelass
    20 Aug 2011 - 2:30 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice. Much appreciated.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.