Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Landscape photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:06 PM

Evening everyone

I have decided that I am going to move away from sport photography and concentrate more on Landscapes. I am at present reading through all my old Photography magazines in an attempt to speed learn Landscape photography in time for my holiday in Cornwall at the end of the month. I would be grateful for any info, tips or idea's that anyone has that will help me learn.

I will be using a Sigma 17-70mm lens.. is this a good/bad lens for Lanscapes?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Daffy1
    Daffy1  6337 forum posts Ireland
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:11 PM

Make sure you have a polerizer filter for those clouds!!

Damian

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:20 PM

Why not try something different and approach landscape like you would sports? You'd probably get better results because you'd be working in a way that's natural to you.

Asking to learn landscape photography before the end of the month, coming from a background of sports, is like asking a motorbike rider to retrain as a bus driver - in two weeks! You can do it - but the results won't be pretty.

justin c
    justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2009 - 7:27 PM

Of far more importance than the technical aspects and the equipment IMHO, is the effort put in to researching, and/or exploring, your location amd being prepared to get in position when the light is at it's very best, even if that does mean a ludicrously early start at this time of year.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Jul 2009 - 8:18 PM

Hi Darren. Bit of a change of pace for you - sport to landscape!!

I shot mainly landscapes, and I also use the Sigy 17-70mm. Can't fault it at all - its a great little lens and is more than capable. Its a very sharp lens right across the frame.

I will second Justins comments - lots of research and checking out sites before you even take a shot. I use a sun rise calculator (linked in this post), and Google Maps to see a where the sun will be coming up /going down all before leaving the house. Have to say i love the earlier starts - you have the world to yourself, and it always so calm and tranquile . . . . !!

Last Modified By Nigeyboy at 15 Jul 2009 - 8:25 PM
    martin.w
    martin.w e2 Member 12352 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2009 - 10:00 PM

Cornwall is certainly the place for landscape work, or seascapes with so much coast to go at. Early morning and late evening for the best of the light, also the low light gives depth to the image, whereas light in the middle of the day is harsh and contrasty. Good points for both looking for locations and as Jools says, look for different ideas from the norm. As a landscaper who has recently dabbled with motorsport I know the difficulties, but if you know your equipment and can compose shots, then there should be no difficulty, especially as landscapes don't move around much Smile

The lens is more than able, I don't know if you have any filters, but an ND grad or two are very useful for landscape work.

Last Modified By martin.w at 15 Jul 2009 - 10:01 PM
    bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    15 Jul 2009 - 11:01 PM

Thankyou all for your comments, idea's and suggestion. Luckily for me I know Cornwall very well as I have been going there since I was knee high to a Grasshopper so I have some idea of locations etc

I am hoping to get out early in the morning and late in the evening to capture the shots im after and will use in between spending time with the family and keeping an eye out for new locations . I have purchased today a Cokin P ND Grad Kit so I will need to learn a bit about them as I very rarely use filters.

I must admit that I am looking forward to starting landscape photography and would like to try some techniques that I have seen others use but that will come at a later date once I have mastered the basics.

DaveMead
    DaveMead  5 United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2009 - 12:32 AM

Hi Darren
    It's an interesting move you are making but having got the ND Grad Kit you're certainly set up to go. I have been taking almost exclusively landscapes for about 7 years now when, in June, my wife took me to the Bramham International Horse Trials. The freedom I felt at being able to concentrate on action rather than light was exhilarating and the results very pleasing. Since then I have also photographed a motorbike trials and, this evening, a cricket match. I will never stop taking landscapes and, indeed, I still have so much to learn, but it is great to be able to snap away madly every now and again. So, go for the landscape stuff and I hope you enjoy it, but don't give up the Sports - it's far too much fun.
    Dave

Last Modified By DaveMead at 16 Jul 2009 - 12:33 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.