Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Landscape Photography Question?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 9:50 PM

most of my seascapes start off like Paul M's "before" images...... and stay that way lol Nowhere near the skills of the Pauls (M and S) in PS

I've not really done any serious landscape for a few years, but when I did, it was all about waiting for good light, finding nice locations, using a tripod, cable release, polariser, ND grads and then just hoping the sunset was a good one.

that's what put me off - the hoping and disappointment of the sunsets...

you can polish drab shots massively if you know what you're doing with Capture ONe/Lightroom - then a bit of selective sharpening and constrast in Photoshop - but to get the real magic, you definitely need the good light to start with.... or covert to mono.

now it's going dark at 6PM, I may pop out for landscapes again.... but not holding my breath

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2011 - 9:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2011 - 10:51 PM

Quote: Hartland

Which is the version that was seen at the time V1 / V2 ?

If V1 and my initial RAW conversion file looked like V2 I would have deleted it as a failure.

If V2 Probably would have not taken the shot in the first place.

ade_mcfade
6 Oct 2011 - 11:08 PM

I guess thats why photographers differ so much

if you've got the experience of shooting these scenes (and it's fair to say that Paul's done a few seascapes before Wink ) you kinda know what will be transformable and what's a lost cause.

I think whatever he does to the rock texture and the water texture is amazing and makes the photos.

AandJPhotography

Quote: I guess thats why photographers differ so much

if you've got the experience of shooting these scenes (and it's fair to say that Paul's done a few seascapes before Wink ) you kinda know what will be transformable and what's a lost cause.

I think whatever he does to the rock texture and the water texture is amazing and makes the photos.

I think its fantastic what Paul`s done with the before and after shots and shows to some of us early learners what can be achieved!
Especially as you maybe a long way from home and visiting for a short period and only managing to achieve so much according to the weather, experience, kit and time etc.
Not all of us are so fortunate to live by such stunning coastline or mountains 24/7 etc.
Thanks to the 99% who have left constructive comments so far and for showing us the links to some examples to help and encourage those of us who weren`t born with a 2k DSLR in the pram or were dropped out of the Photoshop tree at birth.
Its great to meet some genuine helpfull people who havent forgotten where they started from..
Thanks Guys and Girls!
Your time in replying is appreciated.Smile
Andy

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 8:19 AM

Whilst Paul M does now have a high spec Canon, that's not always been the case check back in his PF. His work has been outstanding irrespective of camera.

One comment I would make is yes get the DVD it's excellent, but don't just follow Pauls workflow religiously, develop your own style to your tastes not just produce images you think will work well on here. When you check back in his PF you will see there have been subtle changes to how he processes the images which shows he's always trying new ways to improve his already excellent style.

ade_mcfade
7 Oct 2011 - 1:19 PM

NIck's right - processing's a bit of an experimental journey, you get your usual route map (or workflow), but its good to go up a few unmarked roads now and then, see what you find

...see if you can keep the travel metaphor going chaps lol

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 1:52 PM

You end up going down a few blind alleys Ade. Wink

In the spirit of things I put a before & after shot uo in my last upload.

ade_mcfade
7 Oct 2011 - 2:04 PM

by going down those alleys you learn not to go down them again... err... kinda learning from your mistakes Wink

but yeah

umm

some of those dead end roads may have a spectacular cliff face at the end and perfect evening light, so it's worth going down them,just in case .... phew, metaphor rescued Wink

is it the same shot nick? the water/waves look very different.... ah, are we blending in bracekted shots ?

Nick_w
7 Oct 2011 - 2:06 PM

Its actually a blend of two images, the main one being the RAW that I put up. Maybe a tad oversaturated, Forgot my boots, travelled 40 miles from the hotel, so was being extremelly careful in my shoes!

I was just trying a sideroad for this one.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Oct 2011 - 2:07 PM
sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 6:25 PM

Just whacked a shot up myself to show the OP my processing 'recipe'.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 6:33 PM

Well, I suppose I should return to the raw versions of my landscapes with renewed resolve... But what I would really like to know is if anyone has a good way of producing pseudo lith..... Smile

Nick_w
7 Oct 2011 - 7:49 PM

Just so as not to confuse I pulled the original shot, which on reflection I did not like. Its up again with all the originals (RAW etc)

musicianbruce
10 Oct 2011 - 11:16 PM

I won't bother taking any if I were you (after tonights reading of posts), there's probably a security guard in it somewhere, it's on private land; and you might be considered a suspect for blowing it upSmile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2011 - 9:44 AM

Quote: but to get the real magic, you definitely need the good light to start with.... or covert to mono.

Tut tut tut..... I do hope that is an ironic statement? You still need good light with monochrome. Why do many photographers these days think that you can resurrect a bad photo/bad conditions with black and white conversions? Because it is somehow more...'fine art' ????

There are far too many pictures (even on here) that pretend to be something they are not. 'Fine art' is not just about extensive use of photoshop and bad plug-ins.

Rant over.

Nick

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2011 - 3:02 PM

It is true, however, that the thread seems more concerned with what can be done afterwards, rather than what can be achieved with patience, planning and understanding in the field in the right conditions.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.