Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Landscaper goes events

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SosFM
    SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2009 - 8:23 PM

I am more of a Landscape photographer but my work have tasked me with photographing an awards ceremony. I am not doing the formal shots but have been asked to capture the flavour of the whole occasion and get the more reportage type images to show a flavour of the event. Some of these may be used for publication. However as there will be 5 of us in total recording the whole event we need to shoot jpeg's as there would be far too much conversion work going on with RAW.
    I am using a Nikon D300 with a 17-70 & 70-200 lenses.
    Does any one have any advice on techniques for getting good shots. As someone who likes to take time over landscapes I feel I may be more rushed doing this sort of stuff.

Thanks,

Sos F-M.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Sep 2009 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious
    2 Sep 2009 - 8:41 PM

First things first. Relax.
    Secondly. Establish what exactly is expected of you.

My approch would be to have two cameras with two lenses attached. You have a good focal range to help you. Secondly, if indoor, use a flash with diffuser.

'Capturing the event of the day', to me, means natural shots. Get behind the 70-200 and have a look for people having a good time, chatting, dancing, present, whatever. Keep it natural. Only thing I dont agree with is shooting Jpeg. Like everything, unless you are an experienced photographer with all the right kit, your images will not be perfect on the big screen. You have more control over RAW to your images in post production. I shot a wedding recently, all RAW. 600 images. Took a long time to process them all, but the happy couple enjoyed them so well worth the effort.
    Hope this helps.

Anil

SosFM
    SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2009 - 6:22 PM

Anil,
    Thanks a lot. Regards RAW vs jpeg that one is out of my hands, decision has been made for me. I think I will make a start with the long focal length lens and see how things go. Thanks for the tip with the flash.

Sos F-M.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.