Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lap top recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Nov 2012 - 7:54 PM

After about 10 years the current lap top, after a few re installs is I think getting close to the end (regular blue screens etc etc) Sad

So your recommendations please.

Budget max 600 Will Run Adobe LR and PS as an away from home comp and the usual internet stuff.Would like 17" but seems to be much more choice in 15"

All comments appreciated
    Thanks
    Geoff

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Nov 2012 - 7:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56469 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Nov 2012 - 8:12 PM

I have a Dell studio 15 with 4GBP RAM and i3 processor which runs LR and PS Elements.
    At that price, if you want to use the laptop for a lot of processing you may want to go for processor/RAM rather than screen size.

geoffash26
    25 Nov 2012 - 8:21 PM

Yip have to agree although the bigger screen is appealing it's not a must,and I'm not a dell fan after the problems I've seen mates have.

Last Modified By geoffash26 at 25 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM
    User_Removed
    25 Nov 2012 - 10:30 PM

I popped over to Venice for a 3-day photo shoot and, when I got back tonight I discovered that my wife had bought herself an Apple Macbook Air in a Black Friday sale.

Aaaaargh!!!!! I had warned her umpteen times about Apples - but it does seem quite good (if ridiculously expensive compared to PC-based laptops).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Nov 2012 - 10:31 PM
    marsh145
    marsh145  6 England
    25 Nov 2012 - 10:36 PM

I always used a PC laptop when I was working...then got a mac as a birthday/retirement present. I wouldn't go back!!

jayx90
    jayx90  2 Australia
    25 Nov 2012 - 11:22 PM

i think i3 processor will be fine just upgrade the ram (8gb) at least
    that should do it fine..my pc desktop run g850 cpu 8gb of high end ram(apache) 9800gt gpu and a good harddrive
    it process video and photos quite fast
    the i3 will be fine dont go AMD laptop just my choice

studioline
    26 Nov 2012 - 3:18 PM

Look into the hp range of laptops. You can get them second hand but some have dual drives. I removed one drive and put in a ssd and the keep the other as a regular drive. The thing flies.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2012 - 3:35 PM

Quote: Look into the hp range of laptops

HP ....LOL worse reputation than Dell.....Sad

If you want a proper decent laptop, With minimal bloatware and decent spec/performance, Check out the Intel i5 powered options from " Lenovo " or " Asus ", Preferably Lenovo.

If you did not know, Lenovo is what used to be " IBM " before IBM sold that side of things to Lenovo.

With your budget you should get a super lappy that will do all you need and more......Smile Grin .

Quote: discovered that my wife had bought herself an Apple Macbook Air in a Black Friday sale

Perhaps she is trying to tell you something......Grin But have to agree a Macbook thing is just a waste of money, But you know what Apple buyers say, " If You Got It " Flaunt It " .... Makes no odds if its any good or not....Tongue

Wink

mshulver1
    mshulver1  3 United Kingdom
    26 Nov 2012 - 6:48 PM

On that budget you'll be able to get an Intel i5 processor probably at least 6gb of ram and a big hard drive. The i5 processors have some boost technology which seems to work, I have a hp g6 was cheap at the time so I got it but I the keyboard is a not amazing quality, but is super fast.

geoffash26
    26 Nov 2012 - 7:05 PM

Thanks all

Have bought from Novatech before, Bundles for myself and work desk tops and have had good service, any one had experience of their laptops

This caught my eye

Good spec and no OS so can load myself and stear clear of bloatware

studioline
    26 Nov 2012 - 7:16 PM

Swear by HP dual drives. Great screen and 13 second boot from off. Also almost instant everything. I have to admit I have a windows 7 fresh install on this one.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 3:37 PM

if you going for a dell , look here i have had three laptops from there.

Camairish
    Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
    28 Nov 2012 - 10:23 PM

I've just bought a Toshiba with 6GB RAM and an i5 processor and it runs LR 4 & Elements etc no problems. Unfortunately this model only came with Windows 8 so I'm doing a bit of re-learning but I'll get there.

geoffash26
    29 Nov 2012 - 6:58 AM

Thanks all
    Parcel force status loaded for delivery for todayGrin
    Tonight will be mostly OS & program install with lots of settings and restarts I suppose

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.