Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Laptop Cooling Mat/Stand

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 May 2012 1:42PM
LOL @ Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 1:52PM
Love it!

Mind you, be careful of that beanbag light combo, you'll get terrible reflections off the glossy screen!
8 May 2012 5:09PM
Definitely get one, my laptop overheated and fried the insides, cost me 400 pound to get fix Sad
Sinth e2
8 58 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 8:22PM
I have this by coolermaster

No laptop is the same and generate heat from wherever the hard drive and graphics card is located. With 2 movable fans this works perfectly.
Monitor your temps with CPUID HWMonitor (free) and you will soon find your "Sweet" spot.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
9 May 2012 12:04PM
The only thing which makes a laptop overheat is blocking its cooling vents. You don't need an expensive rest to prevent that, just something solid to rest it on instead of your knee or a cushion.

Hence a 2.00 chopping board works just as well as a (much) more expensive gizmo. Not only that, its slim profile means it will fit into your laptop case too!
9 May 2012 2:18PM
@Chris - however, the iKnives won't need re-sharpening every 6months or take 3 minutes to make the first slice of an onion.

...oh no, what have I started?

I'll second the chopping board suggestion - though I have a perspex one that was I got from Ikea years ago. Must have cost me all of a pound I reckon.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
9 May 2012 6:58PM

Quote:The only thing which makes a laptop overheat is blocking its cooling vents

..and possibly leaving it in the wrong position. For ages I couldn't work out why when I picked up my Vaio it was crashing horribly like there was a HDD fault,, but after a couple of restarts it worked fine.
I finally worked out that the problem was caused by leaving it standing on end by the side of the sofa, the heat must have been rising within the case & causing the drive to overheat.

Since I have taken to leaving it flat it works fine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.