Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Laptop in the Field?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    russellsnr
    16 Aug 2010 - 9:03 PM

Hi, I have seen someone use a portable DVD player with USB connection to check his compo in a studio shoot but wondered does anyone take a laptop on location for landscapes to use teathered and if so what are the benifits?
    Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Aug 2010 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2010 - 10:04 PM

I can think of absolutely no benefits whatsoever. When trekking around the countryside, sometimes up hills and even mountains, the last thing I'd want is to be burdened with unnecessary weight and something else to protect in case of adverse weather. Apart from camera and lenses of course, I find the biggest attraction of landscape photography is being out and about, with just nature and the elements for company, whilst leaving all the modern technology as far away as possible. I feel over burdened with a wrist watch on, let alone having a b----y computer in tow Tongue

Last Modified By justin c at 16 Aug 2010 - 10:09 PM
    Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73799 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2010 - 10:21 PM

In the studio ..yes, but I agree with Justin about taking it in the field. Tho I don't agree with all technology, a bit of music on the iPhone, and the timer is brilliant for long exposures, not to mention the number of times I've gone AOT the security of having a phone just in case its not just my pride thats hurt.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2010 - 10:45 PM

Same as Justin & Nick, When I'm out and about, Just can't be doing with any distractions, Other than those provided by the location, Yes Sir indeedy, When I'm out, I'm unavailable to anything except the call of nature....Smile

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2010 - 10:58 PM

Why wait till you get home to see if your capturing whatever your after correctly....A Lappy is ideal for a full screen view in the fieldWink

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2010 - 12:03 PM

I grudgingly carry a mobile with me when out in the hills (every day), purely because wifey insists I might want it when I've been attacked by a wild boar and or had a heart attack. Other than that, just the camera and odd lens. I suppose I could get the dog to carry a laptop Smile

Malcolm

russellsnr
    17 Aug 2010 - 9:20 PM

ok thank you for replies, seems to be a bad idea.

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2010 - 10:02 PM

Quote: Ok thank you for replies, seems to be a bad idea.

Dont let the majority rule your decision...Try it and see for yourself....It was your idea and I bet a couple of the above end up trying a Laptop in the field!!
    Why be stuck to the little screen on the back of your camera and believe its histogram when you can capture on a big screen and post process where you are!!WinkSadGrin

dcash29
    dcash29  81887 forum posts England
    17 Aug 2010 - 11:12 PM

You might find it interesting if you took along your A3 printer as well.

Nothing like being able to say the print matched the surroundings. Wink

looboss
    looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2010 - 11:17 PM

laptop? nah! screen is too small how about a really big HD wide screen and a power generator? seems to me the best bet Wink

Last Modified By looboss at 17 Aug 2010 - 11:17 PM
    samfurlong
    18 Aug 2010 - 9:50 AM

The other problems with a laptop it that unless you have a building or cave to retreat inside, it can be hard to really judge the image quality outdoors. Plus most laptop screens are nowhere near as good as a nice well calibrated desktop display which is where you should do your editing.

WHen I am working, I use my laptop to send the files out and I do some basic adjustments if I have got something WAY wrong but then when I get home I re-edit for the archives on my nice widescreens on the office computer.

Learn to read and trust the histogram on the back of the camera - it'll do you just fine.

RichardArran
    10 Nov 2010 - 8:09 PM

Agree with the general consensous, it would be a pain and there wouldn't be much benefit.

Richard Arran Landscape Photography

swanseamale47
    11 Nov 2010 - 8:53 AM

We have used them for studio or location shoots, mostly to show clients, but I wouldn't want to lug one around cross country for long.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.