Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

laptop overheating

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mark1b
    mark1b  130 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jul 2013 - 9:45 PM

During the warmer months my lappy gets hot and i need to cool it down. currently when the lappy is on my lap its on a board with holes for the air vents which are not covered. i have tried a cooling pad (not a cheapie from china) something that raises the lappy a bit, some other lappy fan and the usb flexible fan. the flexible fans work well but the motors burn out within 3/4 weeks. any ideas how i can keep my lappy cool?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jul 2013 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jul 2013 - 11:40 PM

Many laptops have a modifiable internal fan speed - check your manual to see if this is the case, and how to activate if so..... Sometimes it's fn + key combination, sometimes it's in the bios settings.....

NB - edited for typo.

Last Modified By Coventryphotog at 3 Jul 2013 - 11:42 PM
    strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2013 - 12:11 AM

I have found the heatsink can become clogged in laptops so if you are brave taking it apart and cleaning out the fluff can make a big difference.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Jul 2013 - 12:34 AM

Very true - but you need to be careful with the conductive grease...... Best to google for a written explanation.....

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6201 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2013 - 2:33 AM

I put a Hoover suction tube over the air outlet from the fan. Gave it a blast at 3000rpm for a few seconds and all the dust was gone. It was a lot cooler and quieter after that.

MartinBrown
    MartinBrown e2 Member 4132 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
    4 Jul 2013 - 7:52 AM

As others have said, get yourself a can of compressed air for the vents in the side also if you quite tech savvy whip the back plate off and where the main processer is it uses a conductive cooling paste. This hardens after time and you can purchase new stuff and just smear it over, remebering to clear the old stuff off.

mikehit
    mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2013 - 8:29 AM

Quote: get yourself a can of compressed air for the vents

I wopuld be careful when using a can of compressed air: if used close up, compressed air causes rapid cooling and briefly cause condensation which in theory could hit the dust and form a gloop that is harder to shift. If you use the compressed air from futher away, it probably won't clear the vents as you would wish. I would use the hoover option.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014140 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jul 2013 - 8:40 AM

Must try the hoover option - mine has started overheating and powering off when performing really intensive tasks (mainly when rendering previews in Lighroom), I found a quick solution which was to go in to the advanced power settings and to switch the max cpu down to 97%.

bigalguitarpicker

How do you know it needs cooled down?

A couple of months ago my Toshiba laptop started showing a window telling me there was an overheating problem. Have you seen something similar, or have you just decided it's too hot?

In my case the cooling fan had stopped spinning. I looked at the vent to see if it was clogged with fluff. No fluff. I hadn't anything fine enough to poke through the vent, so I resorted to straightening out a paper-clip. Poked this through the vent and gave the fan a little push. I felt the tiniest click imaginable and the fan spun freely. Been working perfectly ever since. Smile

Term
    Term e2 Member 885 forum postsTerm vcard England9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2013 - 9:24 PM

take it apart from give it a good clean, chances are the heatsink and fan on the cpu are clogged with fluff etc. Also, make sure this intake and exhaust fans are clean too

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.