Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Laptop recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a laptop for Robbie (sounds like a good swap). Budget around 350, main uses word processing and Lightroom.

I'm thinking something like a Core i3 machine with 15" screen 4gb or 8gb RAM and >= 500gb hard drive. That seems do'able within that budget but would be interested to hear from people who have machines like this and use them for photos.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Feb 2013 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

polis_928tadw59

Past OAP age when I bought a Dell 1545 laptop for my grandaughter. Price then almost 500. After 6 months I decided to have a go and have self taught myself. With the laptop I have since used a Lexmark printer/scanner/copier. I have scanned photos to the laptop, and also printed photos from the laptop using the printer menu.
    Since then I have bought an Epson V500 scanner, which scans negatives and slides, also photos. (The Lexmark could only scan photos), and have used the Epson without any problem.
    The Lexmark 'all in one' was bought for me by my wife when she bought me a compact digital camera, HP and along with a Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart printer. The camera and the HP printer also connect to the laptop without problems.
    As regards Lightroom cannot advise - no nothing about that. Word processor ? I would think that is a basic in all computer laptops.

Jestertheclown
    16 Feb 2013 - 1:37 PM

We bought a Samsung laptop for Chloe, our 11-year-old for Christmas.
    It doesn't have the i3 processor but it does have 6gb. RAM and a 600gb. hard drive, Windows 7 Home edition and a 17" screen.
    I've installed Microsoft Office Professional 2010, available for about 8.50 (really!) via Microsoft's 'Home user programme' if you know someone with an appropriate email address.
    There are no heavy duty photo editing programmes installed because she doesn't need them but I'm sure that it would cope admirably with Lightroom (and probably CS as well)l if I was to instal them.

The laptop cost 300.00 in Argos.

Bren.

Newdevonian
    16 Feb 2013 - 1:40 PM

At last a subject where I know what I am talking about! I was a systems analyst in the Printing / Publishing industry.

Up until very recently I have been using a PC Tower with Pentium dual 2.8Gh with 3 Gb Ram and a 160Gb Drive, running XP issue 3. It was cutting edge when I bought it 6 1/2 years ago. I changed it because I wanted to run Lightroom 4, which doesn't run reliably under XP. It still has had no problem running P/shop plus several other apps simultaneously. I don't own a D800 though Grin Also I don't play games.
    The question is, how long do you intend to own this new laptop. The higher the spec, the longer it will do the job. I have just bought a Mac 3.1Gh, 16 Gb Ram,
    1 Tb Fusion drive. Far more than I need now, but I am thinking ahead another 6-7 years.
    Your spec will be fine today especially with 8Gb Ram, but what about tomorrow?. The one thing you have not mentioned is screen size. I'd hate to go back to 15" screen for photographic work. Have you considered a desk top where you have a greater choice of screen sizes and where they always look better value for money?

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 16 Feb 2013 - 1:49 PM
    KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2013 - 1:40 PM

PC world clearence offers are great value, I saved alot on mine 2 years ago, full garrentee

User_Removed
    16 Feb 2013 - 1:42 PM

Go for 8gb not 4, it'll mean upping your budget though. This is a blinding laptop, has i3 with 8gb RAM, USB 3.0, half a terabyte internal hd, Win 8 64 etc etc

digicammad
    16 Feb 2013 - 2:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I have used a laptop for photo editing for some time without problem. Our ageing desktop departed this mortal coil recently and my wife fancies the freedom of a laptop. We will still have the large screen when necessary for heavy work.

Obviously the bigger the screen the better but Robbie doesn't want anything too big or heavy.

Jester thanks for the info about MS Home User I'll certainly check that out, we are still running 2007

Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.

davidcollins
    davidcollins e2 Member 9103 forum postsdavidcollins vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2013 - 3:00 PM

what about the hp pavilion g6-2230sa
    refurbished from pc world great spec and all for 329.99
    8gb ram, usb 3, 750 gb hardrive,windows 8 etc

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73352 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Feb 2013 - 4:15 PM

Quote: PC world clearence offers are great value, I saved alot on mine 2 years ago, full garrentee

I would second that. I bought an Acer with i5 processor, 500Gb HD, 8Gb Ram, Windows 7, from them last year for 350. Shop soiled & missing a button from the keyboard but the switch still works.
    Runs Elements 8, Audition, & Proshow Gold without any problems.
    Handles our AV shows without flicker or judder & some of them are very big file sizes.

digicammad
    16 Feb 2013 - 5:06 PM

Quote: what about the hp pavilion g6-2230sa

How does that AMD chip compare to the Intel i5?

This one is a contender at the moment.

User_Removed
    16 Feb 2013 - 7:19 PM

I see you've increased your budget somewhat. In that case consider this For handling large high resolution files from DSLRs the more memory the better

digicammad
    16 Feb 2013 - 8:37 PM

Thanks Chris. We've decided on the Samsung as the processor has a bit more punch, easier to upgrade RAM after. Mine is an i5 with 6gb and I've never felt the need for extra.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have the same question so I'll piggy back on this. My son is off to Uni so he needs one for studies / course work. Graphics card not so important. He's not going to be bothered about high quality games either, just usual old school laptop, but availability to download latest stuff. Not worried about touch screen either.

What Samsung model did you get Ian?

Anyone got any good recommendations? Budget < 400.

I had a quick look and the Fujitsu AH512 seems like a good buy.

digicammad
    16 Aug 2013 - 10:31 AM

We went for this one and Robbie is very pleased with it. There are few sites selling it for less than 400, including this one.

Ian

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Ian Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.