Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

laptop want to change from vista to xp

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thermosoflask
    30 Oct 2010 - 5:41 AM

HI have beengiven a toshiba laptop,with vista home premium as the OP, would like to get rid of it and install XP on it, but it wont let me, any idea's how to do it, im quite happy to wipethe hard drive clean and start afresh but it wont let me do that either, any idea's ? thanks in advance, John. xx

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Oct 2010 - 5:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    30 Oct 2010 - 9:31 AM

Change the boot settings in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD drive, start up with the XP disc in then use the facility to delete and format the the Vista partition, then create new partition and then install XP on there.

HTH

Stu

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
    30 Oct 2010 - 9:58 AM

Why put XP on it? Windows 7 is the way to go.

WilliamRoar
    30 Oct 2010 - 10:13 AM

Windows 7 ftw
    I'm still on Vista...

DuncanDisorderly

Unless you already have the XP license then I'd also suggest going straight for Windows 7.
    7 is every bit as stable, performs better and is easier to manage.
    The user interface tweaks don't sound significant looked at individually, but it's quite an unpleasant shock going back to an XP machine after several intensive days using Windows 7.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2010 - 2:07 PM

If the laptop was configured to run under Vista, Then Windows 7 is a far better option.....!

When instaling from scratch, XP will need the F6 driver option during the OS load, Widows 7 does not require these, As native drivers are better & newer, Unless your loading AHCI or some complex raid set-up, Windows 7 will install straight from the disk, Once you have configured the " Bios " to boot from CD/DVD Rom.

If your having issues at the start, Just remove the drive, Connect it up to a desktop, Then wipe it, Or Zero write it, Again Win 7 prefers a non formatted drive on a clean install, It does a format as part of the install procedure.

Whatever, I would not go back to XP, Unless I had important hard/software reasons for doing so.

Wink

thermosoflask
    31 Oct 2010 - 4:18 AM

thanks guys trying to get it to boot from cd drive but for some reason it wont, sticking with xp cos it what i know and usaually windows release a updated version of new OP system to correct the bugs in the first, so im waiting for that, plus the cost of course, many thanks for replys John.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
    31 Oct 2010 - 8:28 AM

I've been running Win7 since before its release (over a year ago) and it has been by far the best, most stable OS I've ever used from Microsoft. I just upgraded my media centre PC from Vista and it downloaded 45 updates, installed them flawlessly and is now running smoothly.

thermosoflask
    31 Oct 2010 - 11:07 AM

Im pleased for you Big Bri, I guess im just stuck in my ways, only went digital 18 months ago, but still use film lol, anyways i've managed to do the laptop so im a happy little bunny now, much thanks to you all, god bless ya, John. xx

thewilliam
    31 Oct 2010 - 3:16 PM

The last few computers that we've bought came with a "twinload" - a dual licence for XP and Vista. I've never heard a good word said about Vista so before commissioning them , I ran the "factory restore" disks for XP.

Do you have restore disks with your documentation? ed

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.