Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Large format - lensboard question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    collpicto
    collpicto  827 forum posts Scotland
    10 Apr 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

I am using a Cambo SC 5X4 camera. So far I was using a 210 mm lens but I would like to go into extremely wide angle photography.

I managed to get a SuperAngulon 65 mm f/8 but I realised that the minimal distance that can give the rail with the bellow at its maximum contraction is not small enough to focus with the 65 mm unless I have a seriously recessed lensboard.

Now, I could find an original new recessed Cambo lensboard (from Calumet I think) but I am not sure that it will be recessed enough to allow focusing with the 65 mm. Does anybody knows if the recessed cambo lensboard (the one for copal #00) would allow focusing with 65mm?

ALternatively, I would be tempted to get a lensboard custom-made - is there any companies in the UK that would do this sort of thng? (I have a spare unrecessed cambo lens board that I could modify).

Thta would be great if I could hear about other's similar experience,

Many thanks in advance,

Bertrand

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Apr 2010 - 11:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fstopshere
    10 Apr 2010 - 11:56 AM

A recessed lens board might help but with large format it is often-usually necessary to use 'bag' bellows with very w.a. lenses as the standard bellows are so squashed up they , essentially, become solid. Another possible problem is that I don't think the f/8 Super Angulon was really designed to cover 5x4, it was more generally used on 6x9cm technical cameras, so you won't have any movements available as the image circle is too small so vignetting and poor edge definition will result. The 65mm f5.6 covers 5x4 with a small amount of movement possible.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    collpicto
    collpicto  827 forum posts Scotland
    10 Apr 2010 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for this fast response.
    I read that some people found the 65 mm f8 is just okay for 5X4 with some vignetting in corners and no movements (I quite like the vignetting effect).
    Bag bellow = is this mean I remove the bellow and join the back boad and lens board as close as possibel to each other and secure with lightproof bag?

Thanks

Bertrand

fstopshere
    10 Apr 2010 - 1:01 PM

Bag bellows are a specific item to the camera, the will be a Cambo SC Bag Bellows you detach the standard bellows at the lens board end and the rear standard then they lift out and the bag bellows fit in where the standard were, they have the correct fittings. You could try making your own! But the clamp fittings at each end are crucial.

fstopshere
    10 Apr 2010 - 1:05 PM

"Google" Cambo SC bag bellows, there might be some second hand ones about.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.