Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Large Jpeg File Descriptions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    VicInIbstock
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:09 AM

Hi Folks

This is my first post and wondered if anyone could help me. Our Historical Society has a large number of jpeg files with large descriptions of the people in the pictures and I'm looking into ways to store these on the file itself as our backup and online storage is on Picasa which will only accept image files, at present we create the extra data in a seperate txt file which is obviously a seperate file.

The archive is accessed by a variety of machines from XP laptops upto Windows 7 (and potentially 8), not all archivists are computer orientated, therefore I'm looking for a straight forward approach prefereably without the need for additional software and finally the descriptions need to be searchable as we get keyword enquiries for a Name or Building.

I've looked at the comments column in explorer but it's limited to 259 characters but in some intances I need 600+ characters. I've looked at Tags in the likes of Picasa or Windows Live Gallery which are fine for peoples names or groups but not really useful for long descriptions.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives. Cheers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:40 AM

To do this on a large scale you might consider document management solutions.

On a smaller scale adding meta data to the file may help - i've just googled up "adding exif data to jpeg" and there seems to be a lot of discussion about it - maybe there is an EXIF writer that can add tags and descriptions to existing JPEG's and so store that info in the file its self?

mikehit
    mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:49 AM

I believe that Lightroom 4 gives you the option of embedding metadata into the image file itself and this can include key words or text description. But not all programmes can read embedded metadata so maybe you could download the free LR4 trial version and give it a try.

mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jan 2013 - 3:29 PM

You need to add descriptions to the description field in the metadata and keywords to the keywords field in the metadata. Have a look if Picasa can embed that data in your images. If it can't then you will need some other software to do it. There are several options.

VicInIbstock
    4 Jan 2013 - 12:34 PM

Many thanks to all respondants, although I had to rule out the Lightroom option as one of the machines is XP, I think I've found a couple of suitable metadata options.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi Vic, please do share what you decide upon - i like your idea of cataloguing.
    Cheers.

VicInIbstock
    26 Feb 2013 - 1:36 PM

For anyone looking for a similar solution we've gone for a combination of Dropbox and Windows Photo Gallery. The latter gives us the Description, Caption and tag searching we need - all be it with some creative use of the tags for any overflow data from the description and caption.

Linking the various machines through Dropbox gives us immediate visibility on the other machines without the need for complex networking and having to remember to do updates.
    Cheers

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.