Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lasolite Hilite

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2011 - 9:36 AM

Is anyone using the lasolite hilite high key background. If so whats are your thoughts and have you found them worthwhile. thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jul 2011 - 9:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Yep, using the 7x8 foot version with the vinyl train.

Pros

Good results when used properly
    Nice clean white background
    Good size when set up, easily stored when not
    Great for 3/4 shots, full length not so good

Cons

Expensive for what it is
    Train too small and oddly shaped
    Train too expensive
    Front material could easily be punctured by a child throwing themselves against it
    Subject needs 3 feet space in front of hilite to prevent "glow" from background
    Needs 2 lights to get even white across hilite
    7x8 feet too big for most houses (we use in studio)
    Train difficult to light - always required post processing
    Edging around hilite is black - why not white??

Would I buy again - probably not. Would probably go with 2.5m width by 4m length of vinyl from Tony Beal in Glasgow (do a search) - far cheaper - 1/5th of the price.

Andy

tomcat606
    tomcat606  596 forum posts
    16 Jul 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hi
    All the above really but when you get it right itís a great piece of kit

Steve

timbo
    timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Jul 2011 - 12:47 PM

Interesting that you get 'glow' if subject is close to the background. I've had people stood right next to it with no obvious effect.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2011 - 2:25 PM

I`ve found it better to use one large soft box placed behind sitter, just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2011 - 4:45 PM

Quote: you get 'glow' if subject is close to the background

If this is the case, Your light output is far to high, Or the position of the lights inside the " HiLite " need adjusting to bounce of the back, Rather than shooting through the front material.....Grin

Same as Timbo, I never get any glow even with peeps right against the hilite, In fact this feature is one of the main reasons for using one of these units, Rather than the conventional system.

Something else too, The " HiLite " can be used as a " Giant " softbox.....Smile Works superbly in large commercial or industrial product shoot situations.

Wink

scottishphototours

Quote: you get 'glow' if subject is close to the background

If this is the case, Your light output is far to high, Or the position of the lights inside the " HiLite " need adjusting to bounce of the back, Rather than shooting through the front material.....Grin
    Wink

Agreed, the light setting can be critical as well as the positioning of the lights inside the unit to acheive the best effect. Bouncing off the back is the secret as you say...

ray1
    ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2011 - 8:06 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I have a pop up white background that I can use with a couple of strobes to do the job but I am trying to minimise the space needed. I want to push mobile baby/child portraits as I get asked quite a bit so wanted to add high key as part of the range of shots on offer. lasolite do a small highlite 3ft 6" x 4ft 6" i think which will be ok for babies and product work but not much more so I'm exploring my options.

Last Modified By ray1 at 16 Jul 2011 - 8:07 PM
    johnp
    johnp  9136 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Sep 2011 - 3:26 PM

Having just bought an 8x7 HiLite and used it just once in trials, I'd like to add a comment and ask for some advice.

The 8x7 is so big that if a subject stands right up to it their sides (as seen by the camera) will be illuminated. Think about it - some of the light from four feet to either side will be directed to the subject. My experience in early trials bears this out. See the girl's arms and sides.
    img-1007-1.jpg

Of course, you canturn this to your advantage:
    1-img-1027-3.jpg
    Her head was up against the HiLite - it's just outside the frame and I shot straight across the front of the HiLite. You can see how beautifully the light has wrapped round.

I attended a lighting workshop a couple of weeks ago and the advice was to measure background exposure using an incident light meter held just in front of it, pointing straight at the background. When I tried this on my own HiLite the exposure came out at f/16. Mark Cleghorn says to allow 2 stops overexposure so I went for f/8 on the main light.

When I put the results onto the computer I found that I had been getting flare reducing contrast and, on a few, bright iris shapes.

So my question to readers: How do you meter the background? How much overexposure do you give the background? Do other members ever get flare?

John

bppowell
    bppowell e2 Member 122122 forum postsbppowell vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2011 - 9:58 PM

I have the 8 x 7 and have found it ok. Use it mainly for event work, balls and socials.

I must admit that I do not measure for the light, I have four lights 2 x250w and 2 x 300w.

I use the 300w in the Hi lite midway up pointing to the back and the 2 x 250w for the main lighting. I then adjust the camera setting to get the result I want.

This works for me.

Barry

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.