Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Last flight of the Harrier

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 9:30 AM

Its a sad day for what some affectionately nicknamed the 'leaping heap' but there will be a flypast of some RAF bases today of the Harrier.

Formation of 16 with a lead aircraft.
MARHAM AD 1318 HR
WYTON AD 1322 HR
BRAMPTON 1325 HR
WITTERING AD 1326 HR
STAMFORD 1327 HR
CRANWELL AD 1331 HR
SCAMPTON AD 1334 HR
CONINGSBY AD 1341 HR
COTTESMORE AD1345 HR
OAKHAM 1346 HR
COTTESMORE AD 1350 HR

This is all I could find at the moment about the route.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 15 Dec 2010 - 9:30 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Dec 2010 - 9:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
15 Dec 2010 - 12:22 PM

(B****r!)

A sad, sad day.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104020 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 12:48 PM

Someone posted a couple of shots here (from yesterday?)
Fighter Control

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 1:36 PM

yesterday was a practice run.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 1:57 PM

Another sad day for British technology.

Mickie
Mickie  628 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2010 - 2:21 PM

Shame the route doesn't include a strafing run over Westminster! Wink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96038 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 4:05 PM

Now that would be worth seeing - which sadly I won't Sad

I commented to a couple of my work colleagues about the Harrier and neither of them had a clue what I was talking about nor had they ever seen one - trying to get across to them how wonderful it is took some doing!

(ask them about x-factor, strictly or football and they're a mine of information however)

Mickie
Mickie  628 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2010 - 4:33 PM

I heard a rumour that RAF Air Command is moving to the Shuttleworth Trust Grin

User_Removed
15 Dec 2010 - 4:37 PM

Very cool.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 4:44 PM

Quote: I commented to a couple of my work colleagues about the Harrier and neither of them had a clue what I was talking about nor had they ever seen one - trying to get across to them how wonderful it is took some doing!

Sadly unless they have been to an airshow or take a passing interest in old news programs there isn't any reason they would have heard of Harriers. It always surprised me that the concept wasn't adopted for other aircraft, after all it made the Harrier useful in all sorts of situations.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110249 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 5:12 PM

A sad day indeed, I worked for a paint lab across the road from the Hawker factory in Kingston when they were doing the development work on the first Harrier + the supersonic version.

Through the company we had our own box at Farnborough and were there for its first public flight. (I was also in the local cafe with some of the Hawker lads to hear the news that the supersonic version had been scrapped, along with all the jigs, drawings and prototypes)

Its a crying shame that we don't seem to be able to hang on to these great inventions of ours. A few years from now the Yanks will be claiming that they invented the "Jump Jet" and we will be renting them off the US military as we will find we need them but can't build them any more Sad

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Now that would be worth seeing - which sadly I won't Sad

I commented to a couple of my work colleagues about the Harrier and neither of them had a clue what I was talking about nor had they ever seen one - trying to get across to them how wonderful it is took some doing!

(ask them about x-factor, strictly or football and they're a mine of information however)

Depressing isn't it. One of my work colleagues asked if I every got fed up of being the odd one out, this being because I don't watch any strictly celebrity singing in the jungle crap. Sad I said that no, not amongst my friends who prefer to keep their brain cells alive.

It is a very sad day to lose the Harriers, my uncle used to be in the air force ground crew looking after them a few years ago.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 5:53 PM

My nephew is a harrier pilot based at Cottesmore. He was probably one of those pilots today.

User_Removed
15 Dec 2010 - 6:45 PM

I feel sick just watching this...

Yet another world-beating aircraft killed by a British government.

Barnaby
Barnaby  881 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2010 - 7:27 PM

Only heard today, cant believe what the MOD is doing what with the Ark royal going as well. Cuts cuts and more cuts then they talk of spending 5 billion on new kit......

Somewhere along the lines common sense was thrown away

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.