Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

layers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2012 - 3:23 AM

Didn't know what to call it but i have a project going at the mo with 10 layers, i want to do a global level adjustment to everything at the same time except layer 4, how can i isolate the one layer and adjust the rest at the same time? all i can think is to merge all the layers that are to be affected and then unmerge afterwards?

Terry.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jun 2012 - 3:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    10 Jun 2012 - 8:26 AM

Deselect layer 4 by clicking the eye icon on the left of that layer Terry...

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 11:32 AM

Very easy, just like Mike said, turn off the layer with the eye icon.
    Stephen

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 1:11 PM

I don't think that is going to work, as you are just hiding a layer that you actually want in the project.
    For example, if I have 10 layers for number 0 - 9 scatter all over a canvas. If I add a global level layer on top, then click off layer for number 3. True, the level layer won't affect number 3, but then number 3 would have disappeared from the canvas as well.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 1:18 PM

I agree with Cole, although if you go through the process of turning off layer 3, make you new top level adjustment layer, then move layer 3 to become the layer above the levels adjustment layer, so it is not affected by the levels adjustment..
    Might work?

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 1:37 PM

That would depends though, as layer 3 might be supposed to be underneath the other layers.
    A bit tricky this.
    I don't know if this is going to work either:
    Click on the top layer.
    Ctrl+alt+shift+E to create a merge layer
    Create your level layer, then use mask to hide layer 3.

JenniCh
    JenniCh  832 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 2:20 PM

Surely it all depends what layer 4 is and whether you can move it up above the adjustment layer without affecting your composition .............. if you need to keep it just where it is and can't move the layers around because it would affect the composition then one way to absolutely ensure that you can adjust all the layers but not this one is to do the adjustment layer you want on each of the layers you want it to affect individually and just lock it to each layer in turn, obviously you can do once for all the layers below layer 4 then leave layer 4 alone and either group the upper layers together or just lock the adjustment layer to each layer in turn .............. sounds long winded but it does what you're saying you want to do. Obviously once you've done the adjustment to each layer you can then merge each of the layer with its adjustment to save ending up with double the amount of layers.

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9679 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 6:30 PM

You could try clipping layers 5 and upwards together along with the levels adjustment layer. You would probably also have to do the same with layer 3 downwards and have these clipped to a second levels adjustment layer with the same settings.

I think on reading the above post that JenniCH has got this idea too. You can actually clip the top levels adjustment layer to layer 10 and then clip layer 10 to layer 9 until you get to 5 and this should leave layer 4 alone. Then just create another levels adjustment layer below layer 4 with the same settings and clip to the rest.

tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2012 - 8:00 PM

Some good sugestions to try.

thanks guys.

Terry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.