Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

LCD Monitor advice

16 Mar 2009 4:09PM
My ageing Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 93EB CRT monitor will eventually need replacing. The thing I particularly like about it is that it is easy to adjust the normal brightness to a lower setting for normal work, such as DTP and typing, whilst pressing a button lifts the brightness to a choice of two super-bright settings that are adjusted to match my colour printer output (Epson 1290S) which I use only when working with or viewing digital images.

My wife has an LCD monitor which only has one setting and this is normally adjusted to match her colour printer output (Epson R285). However this is far too bright for all-day working. Has anyone any suggestions? So far as I can see, none of the LCD monitors have a brightness switching function.

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2009 5:16PM
If everything is setup properly you shouldn't have to change the brightness of the monitor to match prints.

I know of no LCD screens with the function you mention.
marc484ie e2
8 31 1 Ireland
16 Mar 2009 5:48PM
I use a panatone huey for colour calibrating my LG Lcd. And all my prints are spot on.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Mar 2009 8:53PM
Agree with Meredith, If all is setup correctly one should have no need to keep changing the brightness, Apart from anything else it would have dire effects on a calibrated screens accuracy.

The higher spec LCD/TFT panels have many controls & settings, As many if not more than the older CRt types, But we are not talking budget " TN " panels commonly found in the cheaper options.

Check out this page for information.

Also have a look at TFT Central.

EDIT: Even with the best monitor in the world, Your gonna have to calibrate it, The default setting from factory are always pants, We use Colorvision Spyders 2 & 3 Pro, Our prints from Canon printers match the screen, Every time.....Smile

EDIT no.2
Quote:So far as I can see, none of the LCD monitors have a brightness switching function

Try having a look at the more expensive NEC models, They may have a familiar ring because they are tied up with Mitsubishi, I have several high end NEC multisync models, They do offer an " Autobright " function that alters the brightness according to ambient lighting.

I don't use the feature myself because of the potential for messing with calibration accuracy, However it may be waht your looking for.

Have a look at the model 2090UXi.........Smile
16 Mar 2009 9:14PM
Thanks for the comments. With my monitor set up at the medium-high brightness setting, it matches the printing fine. The only problem is that, when working on normal typing, spreadsheet, DTP, I simply cannot sit in front of a sceen with that level of brightness all day. That is why I like the current monitor because I can "turn it down" to a more subdued level of brightness for normal work.

I will check out the suggested links tomorrow.

John
Tony_W e2
7 128 5
16 Mar 2009 11:34PM
John,

The NEC MulitSync LCD 2470wnx has a button for changing between what they call DV Modes. These appear to change the brightness but I don't know what else. I don't use it myself but it appears to be what you are after.

Tony
17 Mar 2009 2:20PM

Quote:John,

The NEC MulitSync LCD 2470wnx has a button for changing between what they call DV Modes. These appear to change the brightness but I don't know what else. I don't use it myself but it appears to be what you are after.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I will check that out.

John
Leif e2
9 722
17 Mar 2009 3:17PM

Quote:Thanks for the comments. With my monitor set up at the medium-high brightness setting, it matches the printing fine. The only problem is that, when working on normal typing, spreadsheet, DTP, I simply cannot sit in front of a sceen with that level of brightness all day. That is why I like the current monitor because I can "turn it down" to a more subdued level of brightness for normal work.

I will check out the suggested links tomorrow.

John

As others have said, once calibrated the monitor should match your prints AND be viewable for extended periods. Generally a luminance of about 100 candelabras per m2 is fine whereas many monitors go up to 400 cd/m2 or higher. So something somewhere is wrong with your setup. Chances are that your printer calibration is off.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2009 3:51PM
you can set up two monitor profiles one for printing and another for long duration working.
you can switch this via right clicking desktop and changing the profile in use. settings/advanced/profile choice.
most desktop monitor software that come with the monitors include the option to change this even easier

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.