Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Leaning Pics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2007 - 9:59 PM

I would do a test with it, set up something studio wise or a table and get it all spot on and some printed thing and perhaps a bottle. Take the shot to show the problem and then take the image and camera back...

How long you had it?

Tommy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Dec 2007 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ratcatcher
18 Dec 2007 - 6:16 PM

It's not just me that's had the problem other Pentax users have also had it. If you check out the Pentax Users web site you will see what others have said about it.
I'm surprised to hear that there does'nt seem to be anyone on this site with the same issue.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2007 - 6:18 PM

Not many Pentax users, try Ben or Pete Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225748 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2007 - 7:00 PM

It has been said in these columns many times - put your money in the lens not the body.

My view is get a good body to put the lens onto.

If you can afford it.

Meanwhile, those of us who can't have to put up with these sorts of problems.

The register between focal plane, sensor, mirror, prism and ground glass screen is all important.

If any of these are out, and we are talking about very tight tolerances here to get an overall envelope tolerance, it doesn't matter how good your lens is, it is wasted.

jas

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2007 - 7:20 PM

Just the odd shot for me that I certainly put down to being careless with the tripod and not checking.

I would do as Tommy says and if you have real concerns then contact Pentax.

Bear in mind the camera is on the large side and can be heavy with some lenses. I now use a remote release avoiding any pressure on the right hand side.
Ken

Just Jas
18 Dec 2007 - 7:24 PM

Quote: I would do as Tommy says and if you have real concerns then contact Pentax.

If you have the inclination Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2007 - 7:29 PM

Quote: If any of these are out, and we are talking about very tight tolerances here to get an overall envelope tolerance, it doesn't matter how good your lens is, it is wasted.

Then that would that not be be evident in every shot?
Ken

Just Jas
18 Dec 2007 - 7:37 PM

I am saying that any of these deficiencies would impair the performance of the lens fitted.

In this particular case I understood that all of his pictures leaned, and so did the pics of other people he knew, or read of.

Generally in engineering various tolerances often cancel each other out thus producing a reasonable result. It is the nature of things.

If all dimensions occurred on 'worst case tolerance' then many assembled items would probably not fit or work together.

Possibly producing the sub-standard item that is attributed to the 'Monday morning, Friday afternoon syndrome! Smile

jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 18 Dec 2007 - 7:44 PM
KenTaylor
18 Dec 2007 - 7:49 PM

Perhaps Richard could confirm if they all leaned.
Ken

Just Jas
18 Dec 2007 - 7:53 PM

Quote: Perhaps Richard could confirm if they all leaned.

He wrote:

Quote: It did'nt matter how well the camera was held or even put on a tripod, even using a spirit level, the problem was still there.

Ratcatcher
18 Dec 2007 - 9:04 PM

i would hope that in future we all take a bit more care when lining up our horizons.

Last Modified By Ratcatcher at 18 Dec 2007 - 9:04 PM
KenTaylor
19 Dec 2007 - 12:07 PM

Which leaves us where?
Do they all lean
Ken

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2007 - 12:14 PM

Quote: Do they all lean

Yes. It's done deliberately to make you buy the Pentax Self-Levelling Compensating Gimbal Mount . A snip at 2300....

Smile

Last Modified By joolsb at 19 Dec 2007 - 12:15 PM
Just Jas
19 Dec 2007 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Yes. It's done deliberately to make you buy the Pentax Self-Levelling Compensating Gimbal Mount . A snip at 2300....

Are you on the level? Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 19 Dec 2007 - 2:11 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2007 - 2:15 PM

Nah, he's just taking a new slant on the problem.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.