Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Leaning Pics

uggyy e2
9 2.1k 9 Scotland
17 Dec 2007 9:59PM
I would do a test with it, set up something studio wise or a table and get it all spot on and some printed thing and perhaps a bottle. Take the shot to show the problem and then take the image and camera back...

How long you had it?

Tommy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

18 Dec 2007 6:16PM
It's not just me that's had the problem other Pentax users have also had it. If you check out the Pentax Users web site you will see what others have said about it.
I'm surprised to hear that there does'nt seem to be anyone on this site with the same issue.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
18 Dec 2007 6:18PM
Not many Pentax users, try Ben or Pete Smile
18 Dec 2007 7:00PM
It has been said in these columns many times - put your money in the lens not the body.

My view is get a good body to put the lens onto.

If you can afford it.

Meanwhile, those of us who can't have to put up with these sorts of problems.

The register between focal plane, sensor, mirror, prism and ground glass screen is all important.

If any of these are out, and we are talking about very tight tolerances here to get an overall envelope tolerance, it doesn't matter how good your lens is, it is wasted.

jas
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2007 7:20PM
Just the odd shot for me that I certainly put down to being careless with the tripod and not checking.

I would do as Tommy says and if you have real concerns then contact Pentax.

Bear in mind the camera is on the large side and can be heavy with some lenses. I now use a remote release avoiding any pressure on the right hand side.
Ken
18 Dec 2007 7:24PM

Quote:I would do as Tommy says and if you have real concerns then contact Pentax.

If you have the inclination Wink
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2007 7:29PM

Quote:If any of these are out, and we are talking about very tight tolerances here to get an overall envelope tolerance, it doesn't matter how good your lens is, it is wasted.

Then that would that not be be evident in every shot?
Ken
18 Dec 2007 7:37PM
I am saying that any of these deficiencies would impair the performance of the lens fitted.

In this particular case I understood that all of his pictures leaned, and so did the pics of other people he knew, or read of.

Generally in engineering various tolerances often cancel each other out thus producing a reasonable result. It is the nature of things.

If all dimensions occurred on 'worst case tolerance' then many assembled items would probably not fit or work together.

Possibly producing the sub-standard item that is attributed to the 'Monday morning, Friday afternoon syndrome! Smile

jas
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2007 7:49PM
Perhaps Richard could confirm if they all leaned.
Ken
18 Dec 2007 7:53PM

Quote:Perhaps Richard could confirm if they all leaned.

He wrote:

Quote:It did'nt matter how well the camera was held or even put on a tripod, even using a spirit level, the problem was still there.
18 Dec 2007 9:04PM
i would hope that in future we all take a bit more care when lining up our horizons.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2007 12:07PM
Which leaves us where?
Do they all lean
Ken
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
19 Dec 2007 12:14PM

Quote:Do they all lean

Yes. It's done deliberately to make you buy the Pentax Self-Levelling Compensating Gimbal Mount . A snip at 2300....

Smile
19 Dec 2007 2:11PM

Quote:Yes. It's done deliberately to make you buy the Pentax Self-Levelling Compensating Gimbal Mount . A snip at 2300....

Are you on the level? Smile
csurry
12 9.2k 92
19 Dec 2007 2:15PM
Nah, he's just taking a new slant on the problem.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.