Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Leaning Pics

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2007 - 9:35 PM

Why is it a bowl of cherries?

What a silly saying that is! I mean think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Like many posts on ePZ Smile

Maybe we should adopt it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Dec 2007 - 9:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2007 - 10:01 PM

Quote: Why is it a bowl of cherries?

Sometimes it's sweet; sometimes sour. Sometimes you break your teeth on a stone and if you have too much, it makes you sick.

HTH.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2007 - 10:20 PM

Quote: ....and if you have too much, it makes you sick.

Possibly like epz again!

jas (just back after downloading IE7. hope it solves the problems i've having with previous version - locked or crash every 10 minutes)

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
31 Dec 2007 - 9:48 PM

Do you have the 'P15A' model, made in Italy? Wink

Or perhaps you have a leaning to digital photography as opposed to film!

Last Modified By macroman at 31 Dec 2007 - 9:51 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 12:10 PM

Come on now, you're all taking the piste Smile

sorry, i'll just slope off again.......

joolsb
1 Jan 2008 - 6:57 PM

An interesting angle on this important question. Obviously, if I had the inclination, I'd try and come up with something a little less skewed.

Smile

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 9:02 PM

Aw come on Jools, can you not just be straight with us for once

This is 2008, I'm looking forward to new horizons...

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 9:37 PM

Quote: I'm just interested to know if anyone with a K10D has experienced any of their pics leaning to the right. If so what have you done to put it right.

Sorry I missed this the first time round. Yes I have noticed it, and not just on the K10D it was on my *ist D too. I asked the marketing manager of Pentax UK last year and he thought it was me not levelling up the camera. I have always used a camera viewfinder to record what I want in the frame and have been peed off on a number of occasions to have to crop the photo to remove the slight rotation. (it was worse on the *ist D

On a recent press trip in the company of the European team I asked the question again. Surprisingly non of the UK press that I spoke to had recognised the issue. The only person I found who could confirm it was the German product manager who said that he was aware of it.

There is in most manufacturing processes a tolerance of a few %. Making things 100% accurate in the factory is a very costly exercise. He said that if the CCD was slightly out it could be adjusted to 100% in the service centre. To me that seems like too much faffing around.

It doesn't bother me now - I just compensate by tilting the camera very slightly anticlockwise if I see a sloping horizon/edge when previewing the shot.

It would be interesting to see how other brands fair. Shoot a subject with your camera on a tripod putting a straight edge parallel to the top of the viewfinder. Allow a millimetre or so gap from the top of the frame so you can check the alignment.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 9:46 PM

I said this earlier in the thread, before it went the usual way (not that I didn't play my part in that Sad )

Quote: The register between focal plane, sensor, mirror, prism and ground glass screen is all important.

If any of these are out, and we are talking about very tight tolerances here to get an overall envelope tolerance, it doesn't matter how good your lens is, it is wasted.

It depends upon the quality of the body in terms of holding these tolerances tight.

jas

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 9:54 PM

So Jas, as I recall you're from a manufacturing background, what is a fair tolerance % in manufacturing? In the old days Japanese cameras had a sticker on which indicated the camera was within a certain %, but I cannot remember what that percentage was, or why they do not have the stickers any more. Anyone know?
Edit: I have just found some details here although I don't want to pay 40 dollars to read the rest! lol

Last Modified By Pete at 1 Jan 2008 - 9:59 PM
chris.maddock
1 Jan 2008 - 10:03 PM

This page has some of the story, although not the inspection rate - it was more to ensure that Japan was only exporting good quality equipment (design as well as manufacturing QC) so they could shake off the reputation they'd acquired of only making shoddy copies of western cameras.

Pete
1 Jan 2008 - 10:13 PM

I'm pretty sure I read in a magazine in the 70s that the tolerance was about 10%. They used to test shutter speeds and everything in those days and providing the shutter fired within 10% it was fine. Some of the magazines used to provide accurate tests showing shutter speed ratings too and they were always out, so were focal lengths of lenses. So there's no reason why a CCD or mirror couldn't be out by a small percent either.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
1 Jan 2008 - 10:30 PM

It would appear that it's down to alignment of the sensor as mentioned earlier.

The problem never appeared with film cameras as the image frame is precisely machined into the body of the camera.

I've just been through a load of seascapes taken with my Sony Alpha 100 and most of them are straight, a few slope, but it's about equal right and left so it's probably me rather than the camera.

joolsb
1 Jan 2008 - 10:36 PM

Being serious (for once Smile), I do find it strange that, with today's automated assembly lines, they can't get something as critical as this right. It makes you wonder what else might be out of tolerance.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2008 - 10:47 PM

I think the in-camera IS will make this harder to set as the sensor assembly will move around more during assembly.

the question is whether Pentax think it worth their while to set up a test and manual adjustment process on each camera, or just service the few that people complain about.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.