Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

learning.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    eddie1
    eddie1 e2 Member 2eddie1 vcard United Kingdom
    6 Dec 2011 - 2:45 PM

Hi all,
    Ive only been a member of this site for a few days, but have learned more about using my camera properly (nikon D3100) in this time. Some of the advice and tips have been really worthwhile. As a complete amatuer, help is very welcome. I didnt even know that to get sharp landscape shots you should reduce the appature size,I thought by doing this the shot would be to dark,I didnt realise that the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed, or in manuall mode you can adjust this yourself. The results have been pretty good for a novice.Keep the tips coming.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Dec 2011 - 2:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Dec 2011 - 3:01 PM

I also have the D3100 purchased initially as a back up to my D7000 when it, the D7000, had to go in for servicing just before a holiday
    However I find I am tending to use my 3100 more and more as it is very user frriendly and quite frankly does everything I want.
    I found the nikon manual a little overcomplicated so I bought the "Digital Field Guide D3100".
    Definitely recommend you get it, mine was from PC world £10.89 and worth every penny.
    I keep mine in my Lowepro bag ready to refer to if needs be.
    Must have read it a dozen times but still worth keeping as a reference tool.
    Get out practice as much as possible I allways view the histogram and make adjustments as neccesary then shoot again if time allows.
    Personally I prefer to try to get the best shot rather than proceesing, I just think that processing is taking over from good photo techniques

eddie1
    6 Dec 2011 - 3:29 PM

Im glad someone else has a good report on the d3100, ive wanted a nikon for a while now, and this one fit my budget, i have added a zoom lens and today bought a nikon marcro lens as i love close up pics. I am trying to get out every weekend at the moment to get plenty of practice in,the exercise does me good as well.I agree with you on the digital processing, I think photos look much better in their original format, and its hard enough learning to take good shots without the extra burden of learning digital mastery.

User_Removed
    6 Dec 2011 - 8:12 PM

Quote: I think photos look much better in their original format, and its hard enough learning to take good shots without the extra burden of learning digital mastery.

I think that is a good place to start Eddie, and no need to think much farther ahead until you are thoroughly familiar with you camera and its capabilities.

But, before long, you will want to get the best you can from your camera. This means shooting in Raw rather than Jpeg as only Raw files contain all of the data your camera sensor collected when you pressed the tit. With Raw files, you do need to do a wee bit of what the gurus erroneously call "post processing". Even if it is just to correct the colour balance, maybe boost the clarity and saturation or adding a modicum of sharpening. With Jpegs, the camera does most of this for you but, as I say, you are losing some of the quality your Nikon is capable of giving you. You may not even notice it to start with.

So - take it easy, enjoy what you are doing, but keep an open mind about where you may want to go tomorrow (or next week, month or year)

eddie1
    7 Dec 2011 - 11:41 AM

I have already started useing raw, and can already see the difference,raw also unlocks a whole new program on my camera. the only prob i had was when i loaded my pics onto the p.c. it wouldnt open the files. it did open the raw file that i had edited on the camera because the edited versions were jpeg format. i have downloaded picasa which will open both, so my options have now increased.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.