Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lee Big Stoper >10 Stops?

jembo e2
11 104 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2012 11:20PM
Has anyone done any testing with a Lee Big Stopper?
I thought I would experiment a bit today as the light was pretty even. I took an unfiltered photo, and then applied the big stopper and applied the appropriate shutter speed to take the same pic. I took numerous filtered pics all with slightly different timings. Besides quite a blue cast, the shutter speed required to achieve a similar exposure to an unfiltered shot is considerably more than the 10 stop calculation. I checked the results and did two comparisons - by desaturating the images (to get b&w), and adjusting for the colour cast. From numerous shots at different time exposures, the most accurate (at the centre of the image) had a factor of approx 1.7 X the guide time.

I think more testing is required, but I would be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
13 Mar 2012 6:07AM
In terms of stops that's not considerably more. 1.7x is less than 1 stop difference. Lee state plus + / - 1 stop.

With 10 stops you are talking a very small error factor less than 1 photon of light out of 1000 reaches the sensor when compared to an unfiltered shot.

You double the time for each additional stop.( it's not linear)

Remember too when using the big stopper you will have lower contrast. Moving clouds tend to reduce the brightness of the brightest area of unfiltered shots.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2012 6:48AM
Filters fade over time as well, so it won't always be that way.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Mar 2012 4:27PM
...and, if you didn't remember to close the viewfinder shutter (or cover it), that could affect your apparent exposure (and the quality of the image).
dandeakin e2
7 207 3 England
16 Mar 2012 11:02PM
My B+W 10 stopper is very much an 11 stopper.

Doesn't sound much but it's the difference between a two minute exposure and a 4 minute exposure etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.