Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lee big stopper

LeighRebecca e2
7 267 10 England
22 Sep 2010 10:18AM
I have decided to get one of these because I find it too fiddly to take off my Lee holder etc and put the B&W screw in 10 stopper on (and off again to recompose etc). I know they're very popular at the moment and people can have difficulty getting hold of them, but I ordered one from Dale Photographic last night, and rang them to confirm this morning and they said they do have them in stock. I didn't ask how many, but I thought I'd let people on here know, in case anyone is keen to get hold of one.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 2:24PM
is your B/W up for sale then ??
LeighRebecca e2
7 267 10 England
22 Sep 2010 7:50PM
Well, I'm not sure yet. You know how I like to double up on everything! Want to borrow it? Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
22 Sep 2010 7:56PM
Yes, Dale are very good, and the best chance to get a big stopper without long waiting list.
ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
22 Sep 2010 10:34PM

Quote:Want to borrow it?

Maybe if ya dont mind, i would like to test it against my cheapy and the welding masks I have been trying out, would be appreciated, thank you.
LeighRebecca e2
7 267 10 England
22 Sep 2010 11:05PM
Thought you might Smile Don't mind at all (if you're really careful with it - you know how fussy I am!). I'll pm you when I get the Lee.
ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2010 11:16AM
Fussy you?, no, I dont belive it, I wont even dare clean it, scouts honour Smile
Thanks Leigh.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Sep 2010 3:56PM
As I mentioned on another thread, I have been experimenting with an ND4.0 13-stop ND filter, i.e. three stops greater than the Lee Big Stopper.

With it I find that autofocus (on either a Nikon D300 or a D3s) just doesn't work. Obviously insufficient light. It's not a huge problem as I can use autofocus and then slide the lens control to manual before fitting the filter. Also, I tend to use the filter to blur moving elements in landscapes such as water or clouds, so am using small apertures and can, in most cases, simply "guess" the focus on the lens scale at halfway between 10m and infinity.

But, as a matter of interest, will most cameras autofocus through the Lee Big Stopper?
LeighRebecca e2
7 267 10 England
23 Sep 2010 6:40PM
Pretty sure autofocus is never going to work with any 10 stopper. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong there.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
23 Sep 2010 6:47PM
Just been reading David Clapp's Photokina report ( here on epz ) that on the LEE booth the are indicating a 2,000+ back orders for the "Big Stopper". Sad
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2010 6:56PM

Quote:Just been reading David Clapp's Photokina report ( here on epz ) that on the LEE booth the are indicating a 2,000+ back orders for the "Big Stopper". Sad

Ahh well I guess by the time that back order has been sorted teh look and technique will be out of fashion and my savings will have to be spent on something elseWinkWinkSmile
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
23 Sep 2010 7:19PM
I'm obviously in the wrong business 2000 x 100 and that's just back orders Wink
ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2010 9:55PM
From what I have managed to find out about Lee filters they are made in batches not a continual run, so they do run low on stock.
I dont think auto focus works through any 10 stopper due to the lack of contrast picked up, and as for it being out of fashion soon, most of the shots so far have tended to be about the same, there is scope for someone to think outside the box i think.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
23 Sep 2010 10:43PM

Quote:I dont think auto focus works through any 10 stopper due to the lack of contrast picked up, and as for it being out of fashion soon, most of the shots so far have tended to be about the same, there is scope for someone to think outside the box i think.

autofocus doesnt work, not really a problem with landscapes and wide angles ( hyperfocal distance). I agree about more scope but there is a big learning curve, focus, filters, light leaks etc.

I have a few projects in mind - but first I need to perfect the technique in safe "scapes" - tho may try one idea at the weekend if the weather plays ball. Like all thingsit will be the flavour of the day then will just be another tool - I don't believe it will be just a fad but a means of controlling exposure.
ripleysalien e2
8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2010 10:47PM
The lee filters have a little seal around them that is supposed to prevent light leaks, just remember to use the little rubber eyepiece cover on your long exposures too, just to be sure Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.