Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lee Filters - Has anyone seen any substandard ones or had problems???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Philpot
Philpot e2 Member 1Philpot vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:18 PM

Hi all, just opened a Lee Filter 0.6ND soft grad 100x150 filter which I won on eBay, I paid the going price and it was described as new. The dark half of the filter has variations in the dark half of the graduation, and almost random marks and streaks in its appearance, I am 100% sure they are not on the outer surface and within the filter structure itself? Could it be a fake? has anyone had any issues with them? I have 6 other Lee filters and all are 100% perfect. many thanks..Phil

see here for image of filter, taken on a solid white background, the problem is at the top towards the right http://www.phildurkin.co.uk/land-and-water.html

Last Modified By Philpot at 6 Feb 2013 - 3:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2013 - 3:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM

Hmmm never noticed that on Lee filters, It's a regular thing on older Hoyarex graduates. All my Lee graduates are perfect but then Lee are normally stored in dark cases, whereas Hoyarex are in see through cases. I wonder if left in the light for a long period the dye is affected? I'll find out.

Philpot
Philpot e2 Member 1Philpot vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:24 PM

Thanks Pete, ive edited the post and put a link on my webpage to the image of the filter. The image is at the very bottom of all the pics. regards Phil

Last Modified By Philpot at 6 Feb 2013 - 3:48 PM
JohnParminter

It could be a fake Phil, depends where and who you got it off or it is a quality control issue by Lee. I haven't heard of problems like this though with genuine Lee filters.

JP

User_Removed
6 Feb 2013 - 3:45 PM

Hi Phil,

I steered clear of Lee for a long time, basically because I heard so many complaints about colour cast and suchlike (and the astronomical price).

Eventually, a couple of months ago, I succumbed to the temptation to buy a Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 lens which has no filter thread and decided also to invest in a Lee filter kit designed for this lens, despite the holder and a few filters costing half as much as the lens!

I have to say that there is nothing wrong with the filters I received. They are certainly not any better than 5 Chinese cheapies but not any worse either.

Looking at your image, I would say that there is definitely a manufacturing fault in the example you show. I would hope that, if anything can even begin to justify the prices that Lee charge, it should be impeccable customer service and that they will sort this out for you tout suite.

PS - I bought my Lee kit on eBay from a company called Speed Graphic in GU34 5AZ. I am pretty sure they are genuine.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Feb 2013 - 3:48 PM
puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:57 PM

I know that Hoya had problems with fakes being sold, but not heard anything about Lee filters, but may be "FILTERING" through now TongueWink Well could not resist that one. Seriously, it could be a fake, especially from Ebay. I would get in touch with Lee filters and send them the image with the fault and any details that are on the filter case, ID numbers etc.
Stephen

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:03 PM

Quote: Speed Graphic in GU34 5AZ. I am pretty sure they are genuine.

They are indeed genuine, based in Four Marks, Hampshire

I have bought a few things directly from them ( not ebay ) going back possibly 10 years or so.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:20 PM

From the shot of the filter... is there no writing in the top (gradded) corner?

If not, then FAKE!

Quote: I steered clear of Lee for a long time, basically because I heard so many complaints about colour cast and suchlike

Colour casts???? With Lee???
Lee are the only brand of filters I haven't heard of complaints of colour casting.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:38 PM

Quote: I steered clear of Lee for a long time, basically because I heard so many complaints about colour cast and suchlike

Every single Lee grad filter is tested before it's wrapped in tissue and boxed. They test for sharpness, distortion and colour accuracy, using a projection system (I've been to the factory and seen the process) - they shouldn't give incorrect colour casts. Any that fail are thrown in a bin.

Quote: If not, then FAKE!

I thought that at first but checked mine (all direct from Lee) the NDs have writing, the blue grad has nothing.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:48 PM

All my LEE filters are etched

For example, just picking at random from my case

LEE 81B to 0.3ND G H

( Just for info this was used back in the days of Velvia 50 for toning down a sky and enhancing crops like wheat / warming up a polarised shadow area in the non sky area. )

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:51 PM

Quote: I would hope that, if anything can even begin to justify the prices that Lee charge, it should be impeccable customer service and that they will sort this out for you tout suite.

Their customer service is exactly that. I was very pleasantly surprised by how far they exceeding my expectations when I contacted them about an issue 3 years or so after purchase. I contacted them to see if the issue I had was normal out of curiosity rather than with the expectation of getting a replacement. They asked me to send the item to them to investigate. I sent it, they said it was not usual and sent me a replacement the next day.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8490 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 4:58 PM

Could well be a fake, I bought a "genuine" Lee ND grad once off Ebay and alongside my other Lee grads it was obviously different - colour cast, different writing etc. Made this point to the seller and got a very quick refund.

Last Modified By Martin54 at 6 Feb 2013 - 5:03 PM
bobhp
bobhp  1
6 Feb 2013 - 7:14 PM

Hi,
I have a number of Lee filters and never had a problem with them of any sort,
Their quality control seems very good to me it is my guess that you have a fake Sad
Bob

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 7:52 PM

I assume you are UK-based and bought the filter mail order. If so under the Distance Selling Regulations if you are not happy with a product you have approximately 10 days to return it for full refund - including if you change your mind and there is nothing wrong with it.
SpeedGraphic have a first class reputation. If you are not 100% happy I suggest you return it for a refund.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8490 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 8:03 PM

Remembered that I took some photos of the fake one I brought for evidence:

Left to right: Lee .6 Hard, fake .6 Soft, Lee .9 Soft
sd30-4005.jpg

Close up of Lee .6 Hard and fake .6 soft
sd30-4007.jpg

Note the date stamps on the Lees

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.