Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Left handed shutter release

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:08 PM

A friend of mine suffered a stroke and now finds it difficult to fire the shutter with her right hand. She asked if there is a camera with a left handed release. To complicate things she is left handed anyhow.
    I am not aware of any camera either for or with a left handed release, perhaps you could help.
    Many thanks.
    Ken

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:12 PM

If its an SLR she could probably use a shutter release. I have often used a shutter release with a handheld shot. Just use the thumb to press while holding the camera. PAul

User_Removed
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:13 PM

Useful FAQ from the Disabled Photographer's Society.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.
    It is a compact and a remote release would be awkward. The Disabled Photograhers link looks good, she pobably wasn`t aware of it.
    The short answer appears to be a no, all that I have seen are right handed.
    Ken

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:47 PM

I'm not being funny here, and I have no idea if this is practical, but could she hold the camera upside down ?
    Never tried it myself, so don't laugh at me (although I was shooting with my 5D upside down dangling from my tripod to get close to the floor at the weekend).

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:50 PM

Thought of that myself Brian but I was hoping someone else would be silly enough to suggest it lol. No seriously, its probably not a bad idea and release the shutter with the thumb. PAul

c_evans99
    c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 1:56 PM

Probably as impratical but any post-war Dresden-made Exakta or Exa will have a ;eft-hand release.

Ceri

chriswebb
    chriswebb  10893 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2006 - 2:17 PM

How about a pistol grip?

The only camera I know of was a half-frame 35mm camera from around 1990 called the Yashica Samurai. It was a bit like a modern camcorder and came in left and right handed versions.

AngelaD
    AngelaD  92861 forum posts Wales
    25 Jul 2006 - 2:19 PM

Glad Bri suggested it, have tried it, it does work!

dark_lord
    dark_lord Critique Team 101446 forum postsdark_lord vcard England123 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2006 - 2:25 PM

I remember a Konica camera from the early 1980s, which was one of the first 35 mm SLRs to feature a built in winder, to have a left handed release in addition to the standard release.

It never caught on (the camera) but not becauswe of the left handed operation

I know this doesn't answer your question, but illustrates that left handed releases have been done in the past.

As it is a comapct it should be easier to hold upside down (rather easier than a 5D lol).

Big Bri
    25 Jul 2006 - 2:37 PM

should point out, when I had my 5D upside down, it was on a tripod and I was using a cable release Smile

AngelaD
    AngelaD  92861 forum posts Wales
    25 Jul 2006 - 2:44 PM

... but I should point out I was using 35mm SLR, very easy then to use your thumb to take the shot, and quite steady too.

Big Bri
    25 Jul 2006 - 3:09 PM

And more room for your nose as well... Wink

KenTaylor
    25 Jul 2006 - 3:30 PM

The difficulty can be practised but anyone with full use of both hands and right handed can get round problems easier.
    Some good tips, more the one about firing the camera upside down, sounds funny but a practical way out. Will pass it on although she might have already tried that.

The old film cameras were so much eaier with cable release being a norm fitting along with a pistol grip. A pistol grip may be of benefit that I am sure she hasn`t tried
    Two cameras mentioned but they are film and they don`t seem that long ago.

The Exacta was indeed left hand Ceri, I remember it now.The Yashica Samurai made in two versions sounds rather an odd thing to do while they must have had left handed users in mind. I am sure it can be done with modern compacts but not economic when you see dozens of models being introduced almost daily.
    Noted the tips and will pass them on.
    Ken

JohnHorne
    JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
    25 Jul 2006 - 5:05 PM

If she doesn't mind using a manual focus SLR she could consider a (second-hand) Ricoh XR-X.

This has a button on the left which activates the self-timer. Instead of the 2 or 10 second delay that most cameras offer, the XR-X allows you to set the delay to almost any interval you want - including zero seconds. Configured like this it effectively becomes a shutter release button. The downside is that you don't get the "half-press to activate the metering" option that a convetional shutter release offers.

Alternatively how about a camera with an electrical cable release (plug it in and tape the release button on the left hand side of the camera) ?

I seem to recall that some Canon cameras used to come with a separate remote control - perhaps that could be a practical option ?

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.