Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Left or right eye?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chris.maddock
24 Jul 2005 - 9:04 AM

Any? You mean you've got more than two?

Wink
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jul 2005 - 9:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

patters
patters  91781 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2005 - 9:42 AM

and that opens ...
four actually, wanna help me count?
Spok has 3 ears, any takers?

adamburton
adamburton  10627 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2005 - 9:46 AM

I always have used my right eye. I thought I was the only person to do this as I know all the mags etc recommend the left. So Im glad Im not alone!

Adam.

akh
akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2005 - 9:56 AM

You are not alone I have always used my right eye. I am actually slightly longer sighted in my left eye than the right - don't know if that would make a difference - maybe for telephoto lensesSmile
Tony

chris.maddock
24 Jul 2005 - 10:00 AM

Quote: You are not alone I have always used my right eye.

Me too, it always just "felt right" - as opposed to "felt left" Wink

Just tried both eyes and I can see an advantage to using my left - in that I wouldn't need to strain to keep the unused eye closed (unless I want to see the periperal action, that is) as the camera obscures the view through the right. Didn't feel particularly comfortable though.

I guess I'll stick to being a right one Wink

elikag
elikag  9749 forum posts
24 Jul 2005 - 4:39 PM

I always used the left eye on my Zenit. It's only when I moved to P&S I realized it - my right thumb was literally in my right eye. Although, this way the camera is more stabilized.

Now days, if I shoot with a SLR, I try to remember to use the right eye - but I usually forget. Smile

Ilia Kagan.

HarvM
HarvM  9
24 Jul 2005 - 7:23 PM

Right handed, Left eyed. In fact my right eye only focuses when I close my left eye. That is, I cannot focus both eyes at the same time, so I do not see depth in the usual sense -- I guess I live in a flat world. It has always been that way.
Anyway, when I was being taught to shoot the 30 cal. Springfield rifle in Army basic training during WWII, the Serg. noticed I was leaning over to sight the rifle while holding it right handed. (As a boy I had always shot my BB and 22 that way.) He suggested I join the left handed group, which I did. I then learned to shoot the thing left handed, including reaching over with my left hand to pull back the bolt. Surprisingly, I caught on pretty quickly. In fact, I qualified Expert on it as well as the other four weapons I fired, all shot as a left hander.
So, I suggest that "Big Bri", who has the same Right/Left situation as I, might want to consider switching to holding the bow or pistol in his left hand if he is still active with either of these two. He may be surprised how easily the transition could be. Sorry, I didn't mean to write so long. Harv

adamburton
adamburton  10627 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hang on, Ive been getting myself all muddled. Its my left eye I always use, not my right. Just couldnt feel comfortable with the right.

Adam.

ellis rowell
25 Jul 2005 - 12:39 AM

Now I know why we don't see any photo's of the Battle of Trafalgar,---------------------------------------------

Nelson was using the wrong eye.

paulcr
paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 2:27 AM

Hadn't quite expected such a huge response to this. Looks like the lefties are emerging now. It was all right eyed at first. Good point by Jono about posing subjects facing left if your a leftie. I think I would have to agree with that one. Also I think its true that, like most mass produced objects, camera shutter buttons are designed for right handed/eyed people. Particularly the older cameras with winders. Being a leftie I have had to become slightly ambedextruos in order to use a whole range of utensils, tools and electronics. Good response guys and loads of interesting sub topics raised. PAul

helena
helena  10134 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2005 - 3:36 AM

Left eye, left handed, green eyes, red hair, maybe I'm a mutant! Tara x

ellis rowell
25 Jul 2005 - 12:43 PM

"Also I think its true that, like most mass produced objects, camera shutter buttons are designed for right handed/eyed people."

We had a chap in our platoon who was left handed with a rifle, it was bl***y impossible to teach him to use one. The only thing he would have been safe using was a 2" mortar but we didn't have one.

ksh
ksh  9467 forum posts
25 Jul 2005 - 1:24 PM

Quote: We had a chap in our platoon who was left handed with a rifle, it was bl***y impossible to teach him to use one

I can understand it being hard to teach him but I always thought guns were designed for both handed people, ie it is shaped the same on both sides
might make the bullet filling hrder tho?

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 1:30 PM

Nope, guns are all for righties, bolts, safeties etc all in the 'right' place for the right hand - I shoot left handed cos of my crap right eye and there's a definite knack to it

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2005 - 1:38 PM

I use my left eye because I can't see bu**er all out of the right one. I'm right handed (mostly) so I find the shutter button etc on the camera convenient.
Shooting with a gun is awkward if you have to use your left eye though, although my Dad always used a shotgun left-handed and didn't miss much. I'm pretty useless at darts too...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.