Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Legacy lenses-Test and Reviews

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315353 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

What do you all all think, should older lenses be tested and reviewed using CSC including M4/3.

Maybe even a selection of adapters as well Smile

http://www.olympus.co.jp/jp/fun/wallpaper/camera/dl.cfm?id=295&type_id=1&...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139438 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

A nice idea Paul. Smile

Not sure, though, what would be the level of interest. With older lenses you do lose functions and, these days, some togs who have never used a MF lens in their lives may regard AF as some sort of 'human right'. Lol! Wink

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Great idea Paul, There are a great many old lens out there that can add a little something to an image, ( That software just can't mimic ) Certainly viewed in a " Lens Baby " sort of way, But not so wacky LOL.....Grin

I have noticed an increasing interest in the older stuff on " FleaBay ", Lens that a few years ago would have struggled to make 10 quid, Are now making it into the 50s and 100s.

Especially if they have certain named brands ie: Zeiss etc ......Smile

However, Potential buyers need to be aware of the pitfalls of buying lens for use on a modern digi cam that (A) are manual only, (B) May be full of dust/fungus/scratches or mechanical issues etc etc.

Been playing with an old Zeiss 50mm screw mount myself, Its great fun and has that certain look, But its absolute crap when compared to my most basic modern lens, Of course that's not the point, So I am well happy and find it great fun, But its not all rose tinted optics......Sad

So yes, A section or group on the subject would almost certainly add to the site as a whole.....Wink

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    7 May 2012 - 1:27 PM

Great idea -(although as cameracat has intimated, once people start to realise how good they are, the second hand values start to rocket!).

One of the main drivers behind the use of legacy lenses has been the increasing use of DSLR/CSC and M4/3 cameras for video, and people wanting the wide apertures for controlling depth of field. But, having said that, there are some real gems out there for general photographic use, and any reviews would be welcome.

I've currently got adapters with built in diaphragms for using my canon lenses on NEX and M4/3 bodies, but with longer lenses you tend to get fairly heavy vignetting as the diaphragm is a quite a way behind the rear element. I've just taken a deep breath and ordered the Metabones NEX/EF adapter -(for an eye watering price!)- which gives full control of the lens aperture electronically, and also powers the IS. Once I've got it and used it, I'll report back.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139438 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 1:42 PM

Quote: I have noticed an increasing interest in the older stuff on " FleaBay ",

Very much so. The ease of use of older lenses on the likes of M4/3 (i.e. via a thin lightweight adaptor) must come into it.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315353 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 4:09 PM

Quote: With older lenses you do lose functions and, these days, some togs who have never used a MF lens in their lives may regard AF as some sort of 'human right'. Lol!

Its interesting what Philip Bloom has to say around 4 min in Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjpmHV63050&feature=related

Quote: So yes, A section or group on the subject would almost certainly add to the site as a whole.....Wink

I added this thread to a group have you joined Smile Smile

If you have a bunch of old Nikkors, Zuiko`s primes hang on to them.

There`s a use for them and a market, look at the manual prime lenses now appearing from the likes of Samyang and Cosina.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014799 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 9:05 PM

Paul, do you have any experience of Bower lenses, they show up as new MF lenses frequently on ebay and in a couple of online shops. Might be another brand made by Cosina or the like.

Paul Morgan
    8 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

I don`t think they make lenses, just adapter lenses.

Paul Morgan
    8 May 2012 - 5:58 PM

Quote: Been playing with an old Zeiss 50mm screw mount myself, Its great fun

I had a play with the Old Nikon 50mm E series yesterday, my old Zuiko 50mm will get more use, but that little Nikon pancake is fun Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 8 May 2012 - 5:58 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.