Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Legality of using music in a dvd slideshow

chelle 9 77
3 Oct 2012 8:55PM
Hi all,

I have had some customers asking for slideshows of their images, but I am unsure of the legalities of using music on them. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Am I allowed to use music from my personal collection (itunes, cd's, etc) or do I need some sort of licence to use it? Or do I need to buy copyright free music, and if so where do I get this kind of thing from?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

3 Oct 2012 9:13PM
I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists. Licenses are available from the IAC (Institute of Amateur Cinematographers) for amateur showing of AVs with musical soundtracks but that isn't the use you're looking for.
Try googling for copyright free music for your productions, you can buy CDs of it. Don't know about downloads. Or make your own backing tracks. I've made some of my own using a music generating programme called Band in a Box.
Alex.
chelle 9 77
3 Oct 2012 9:18PM
Thanks Alex,

I will have a look at buying a cd of copyright free music then.

Thanks again!
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
3 Oct 2012 9:26PM
Check out this site......Smile

Everything you need for music to add with video slideshows, Photographers especially catered for.

Wink
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2012 9:33PM

Quote:I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists.

Totally wrong.

It'll cost you about 15 here
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
3 Oct 2012 10:44PM
You could do worse than having a look at FMA, the Free Music Archive and maybe being able to find something suitable for your projects there?

Ade
4 Oct 2012 9:41AM

Quote:I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists.

Totally wrong.

It'll cost you about 15 here

Chris_L I'm happy to be corrected! Smile I'm wondering now how long this has been available? Never heard of it when researching licenses, never heard of it when attending AV seminars, never heard of it when in touch with the IAC to get the amateur licence. I wonder if there's an equivalent licence for producing your own CDs covering big hits? Grin
Alex.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2012 9:53AM
It's been around ages, was previously Wedding Video Recording Licence. You could dub music from big artists onto your wedding DVDs so long as you weren't knocking out thousands.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
4 Oct 2012 10:31AM
Interesting, I'd never heard of that before either. Certainly a lot cheaper than the IAC licences.
Having a quick read of it, I think it's only usable for limited distribution end uses, but that would probably cover most togs uses, and would certainly cover my AVs.
I'll investigate further.
(Always knew Chris would be useful for something one day Wink )
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2012 2:16PM
If you google 'creative commons licence' you will find loads about it where people retain their copyright but put their pictures/music on a database that people can access. IIRC there are two levels of access, with a small payment granting wider access.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.