Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Legality of using music in a dvd slideshow

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chelle
    chelle  977 forum posts
    3 Oct 2012 - 8:55 PM

Hi all,

I have had some customers asking for slideshows of their images, but I am unsure of the legalities of using music on them. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Am I allowed to use music from my personal collection (itunes, cd's, etc) or do I need some sort of licence to use it? Or do I need to buy copyright free music, and if so where do I get this kind of thing from?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Oct 2012 - 8:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker

I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists. Licenses are available from the IAC (Institute of Amateur Cinematographers) for amateur showing of AVs with musical soundtracks but that isn't the use you're looking for.
    Try googling for copyright free music for your productions, you can buy CDs of it. Don't know about downloads. Or make your own backing tracks. I've made some of my own using a music generating programme called Band in a Box.
    Alex.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    chelle
    chelle  977 forum posts
    3 Oct 2012 - 9:18 PM

Thanks Alex,

I will have a look at buying a cd of copyright free music then.

Thanks again!

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 9:26 PM

Check out this site......Smile

Everything you need for music to add with video slideshows, Photographers especially catered for.

Wink

User_Removed
    3 Oct 2012 - 9:33 PM

Quote: I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists.

Totally wrong.

It'll cost you about 15 here

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 10:44 PM

You could do worse than having a look at FMA, the Free Music Archive and maybe being able to find something suitable for your projects there?

Ade

bigalguitarpicker

Quote: I'm afraid you may not use music from your collection, or from anyone else's either. A licence to use those tunes would cost a fortune. I don't even know if such a licence exists.

Totally wrong.

It'll cost you about 15 here

Chris_L I'm happy to be corrected! Smile I'm wondering now how long this has been available? Never heard of it when researching licenses, never heard of it when attending AV seminars, never heard of it when in touch with the IAC to get the amateur licence. I wonder if there's an equivalent licence for producing your own CDs covering big hits? Grin
    Alex.

User_Removed
    4 Oct 2012 - 9:53 AM

It's been around ages, was previously Wedding Video Recording Licence. You could dub music from big artists onto your wedding DVDs so long as you weren't knocking out thousands.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2012 - 10:31 AM

Interesting, I'd never heard of that before either. Certainly a lot cheaper than the IAC licences.
    Having a quick read of it, I think it's only usable for limited distribution end uses, but that would probably cover most togs uses, and would certainly cover my AVs.
    I'll investigate further.
    (Always knew Chris would be useful for something one day Wink )

mikehit
    mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Oct 2012 - 2:16 PM

If you google 'creative commons licence' you will find loads about it where people retain their copyright but put their pictures/music on a database that people can access. IIRC there are two levels of access, with a small payment granting wider access.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.