Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Leica take-over

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    thatmanbrian
    20 Oct 2011 - 1:57 PM

The Times reports that Blackstone has bought 44% of Leica for 106million. They believe they can double the size of their market by going into untapped Asian markets, especially China. The owner of Leica, Andreas Kaufman deliberately looked for a partner who could help Leica expand globally.

This focus on expanding the market suggests to me that Leica are feeling the pinch after their rescue earlier by Kaufman. I wonder if they have considered coming a bit down-market also?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Oct 2011 - 1:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NikLG
    NikLG  81736 forum posts England
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:03 PM

Not sure about downmarket, but I reckon they could drop their prices to appeal to more people.
    Seeing as how a lot of their products are Panasonic cameras with a different badge... Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:07 PM

Quote: They believe they can double the size of their market by going into untapped Asian markets

And they will.

Andy_Cundell
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:19 PM

The untapped Asian market..............................is that the place where they get cheap camera equipment and are always trying to sell it to us?

thewilliam
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:27 PM

In the land of cut-price cameras, really expensive equipment will find a ready market. The Chinese already buy a lot of Rolls-Royce and Jaguar cars.

There are about 1300 million of them and they're getting richer by the day. They have to something with their 2,000 billion foreign currence reserves.

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:37 PM

As a comparison @ 60% of BMW profit comes from selling cars to China, only 15% of its market. In that light a premium Leica could well sell in China.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 2:48 PM

Indeed. The idea that all Chinese spend their days in the paddy fields is obselete. There are plenty of Chinese millionaires and multi-millionaires. China is one of Rolls-Royce's (owned by BMW) most important markets.

Leica will do well there.

thatmanbrian
    20 Oct 2011 - 3:25 PM

I know the UK has tried to expand its exports to China, but it seems very low profile. Are there any British brands over there? Are there any British brands full stop? No that's unfair, but you know what i mean!Wink

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 3:37 PM

Twinings is doing well over there. And there is a company doing folding bikes. ARM have a lot of their designs being fabricated over there.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2011 - 4:34 PM

Leica`s sell well in China especially the expensive ones.

http://leicarumors.com/2010/01/18/three-new-leica-limited-editions-60th-annivers...

Quote: Twinings is doing well over there. And there is a company doing folding bikes. ARM have a lot of their designs being fabricated over there

And I also believe the Lonon cabie is as well and now sell all over the world.

thatmanbrian
    20 Oct 2011 - 5:57 PM

Struggling a bit to find British names then? Pity isn't it as we used to do so well. Quite fancy the red/gold Leica special editition.

keith selmes
    20 Oct 2011 - 10:45 PM

A few British names

Brush Traction
    Hunslet
    BAE Systems,
    VT Group,
    GKN
    Rolls Royce
    Diageo
    SABMiller
    Scottish and Newcastle
    Unilever
    Cadbury
    Tate & Lyle
    British American Tobacco
    Imperial Tobacco
    EMAP
    HarperCollins
    Reed Elsevier
    Ben Sherman
    Burberry
    French Connection
    Reebok
    Pentland Group
    Umbro
    Harland and Wolff
    Cammell Laird
    Abels
    Seawind Group
    Appledore Shipbuilders
    Princess
    Sealine
    Fairline Boats
    Sunseeker
    Lotus
    Morgan
    Leyland Trucks
    LDV
    Alexander Dennis
    JCB

thatmanbrian
    20 Oct 2011 - 11:32 PM

Wow! You've been hard at work. Of the names you list, many are foreign owned. For example:

Leyland Trucks are owned by PACCAR a US company
    Cadbury is owned by Kraft themselves owned by General Foods
    Sunseeker - Irish
    Scottish and Newcastle - Heinekin/Carlsberg

I won't bore everyone with a full list! By producing that list, you imply you are proud of Britain and so am I. My point, prehaps too briefly made, was that true British industry is sadly lacking in foreign climes - at least very low profile compared to other countries which can't be good can it?

Edit
    ps I apologise if I've made any errors during my quick google, but the point is made eh?

Last Modified By thatmanbrian at 20 Oct 2011 - 11:35 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.