Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Leica take-over

thatmanbrian 3 342 3 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 1:57PM
The Times reports that Blackstone has bought 44% of Leica for 106million. They believe they can double the size of their market by going into untapped Asian markets, especially China. The owner of Leica, Andreas Kaufman deliberately looked for a partner who could help Leica expand globally.

This focus on expanding the market suggests to me that Leica are feeling the pinch after their rescue earlier by Kaufman. I wonder if they have considered coming a bit down-market also?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NikLG 9 1.7k England
20 Oct 2011 2:03PM
Not sure about downmarket, but I reckon they could drop their prices to appeal to more people.
Seeing as how a lot of their products are Panasonic cameras with a different badge... Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
20 Oct 2011 2:07PM

Quote:They believe they can double the size of their market by going into untapped Asian markets

And they will.
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
20 Oct 2011 2:19PM
The untapped Asian market..............................is that the place where they get cheap camera equipment and are always trying to sell it to us?
thewilliam 6 4.7k
20 Oct 2011 2:27PM
In the land of cut-price cameras, really expensive equipment will find a ready market. The Chinese already buy a lot of Rolls-Royce and Jaguar cars.

There are about 1300 million of them and they're getting richer by the day. They have to something with their 2,000 billion foreign currence reserves.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 2:37PM
As a comparison @ 60% of BMW profit comes from selling cars to China, only 15% of its market. In that light a premium Leica could well sell in China.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
20 Oct 2011 2:48PM
Indeed. The idea that all Chinese spend their days in the paddy fields is obselete. There are plenty of Chinese millionaires and multi-millionaires. China is one of Rolls-Royce's (owned by BMW) most important markets.

Leica will do well there.
20 Oct 2011 3:25PM
I know the UK has tried to expand its exports to China, but it seems very low profile. Are there any British brands over there? Are there any British brands full stop? No that's unfair, but you know what i mean!Wink
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 3:37PM
Twinings is doing well over there. And there is a company doing folding bikes. ARM have a lot of their designs being fabricated over there.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
20 Oct 2011 4:34PM
Leica`s sell well in China especially the expensive ones.

http://leicarumors.com/2010/01/18/three-new-leica-limited-editions-60th-anniversary-of-peoples-republic-of-china.aspx/

Quote:Twinings is doing well over there. And there is a company doing folding bikes. ARM have a lot of their designs being fabricated over there

And I also believe the Lonon cabie is as well and now sell all over the world.
20 Oct 2011 5:57PM
Struggling a bit to find British names then? Pity isn't it as we used to do so well. Quite fancy the red/gold Leica special editition.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 10:45PM
A few British names

Brush Traction
Hunslet
BAE Systems,
VT Group,
GKN
Rolls Royce
Diageo
SABMiller
Scottish and Newcastle
Unilever
Cadbury
Tate & Lyle
British American Tobacco
Imperial Tobacco
EMAP
HarperCollins
Reed Elsevier
Ben Sherman
Burberry
French Connection
Reebok
Pentland Group
Umbro
Harland and Wolff
Cammell Laird
Abels
Seawind Group
Appledore Shipbuilders
Princess
Sealine
Fairline Boats
Sunseeker
Lotus
Morgan
Leyland Trucks
LDV
Alexander Dennis
JCB
20 Oct 2011 11:32PM
Wow! You've been hard at work. Of the names you list, many are foreign owned. For example:

Leyland Trucks are owned by PACCAR a US company
Cadbury is owned by Kraft themselves owned by General Foods
Sunseeker - Irish
Scottish and Newcastle - Heinekin/Carlsberg

I won't bore everyone with a full list! By producing that list, you imply you are proud of Britain and so am I. My point, prehaps too briefly made, was that true British industry is sadly lacking in foreign climes - at least very low profile compared to other countries which can't be good can it?

Edit
ps I apologise if I've made any errors during my quick google, but the point is made eh?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.