Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    carphunter
    10 Dec 2012 - 6:32 PM

Hi my name is Tony and new to photography I have a canon 500d and was wondering if anybody could suggest a lens for taking photo's of wildlife, anybody got any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Dec 2012 - 6:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46102 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2012 - 6:40 PM

How much have you got to spend? What sort of 'wildlife'?
    In the 350 region I would recommend the Canon 70-300 IS USM, and at 1,000 mark the 70-300L IS or the 100-400L IS.
    There are equivalent lenses from Sigma and Tamron that come in cheaper though they do have compromises with regards speed of focus or noise when operating.

capto
    capto e2 Member 2936 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2012 - 10:31 PM

I have had the 70-300 canon non L lens, although it is good value for the price it understandably has its weaknesses. I took many good shots with it but its weakness is at the 300mm end at max aperture, where I most often needed it. I have since upgraded to the 70-300L, a thoroughbred by comparision. A lens that has never disappointed me and worth the extra money. Often reasonably priced lenses are poorest at the most wanted settings. Sadly quality mostly comes at a price.

User_Removed
    10 Dec 2012 - 10:32 PM

I don't know anything about Canon lenses but I would guess that, at this stage, you don't want to spend much more on a lens than your camera is worth. (That mindset will soon change if the bug really bites.) That being so, then I suspect that Mike's suggestion of a 70-300mm zoom is a great first step. You might find that there is both the Canon option and a Sigma alternative available.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.