Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Lens

10 Dec 2012 6:32PM
Hi my name is Tony and new to photography I have a canon 500d and was wondering if anybody could suggest a lens for taking photo's of wildlife, anybody got any suggestions.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 6:40PM
How much have you got to spend? What sort of 'wildlife'?
In the 350 region I would recommend the Canon 70-300 IS USM, and at 1,000 mark the 70-300L IS or the 100-400L IS.
There are equivalent lenses from Sigma and Tamron that come in cheaper though they do have compromises with regards speed of focus or noise when operating.
capto e2
2 1.4k 7 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 10:31PM
I have had the 70-300 canon non L lens, although it is good value for the price it understandably has its weaknesses. I took many good shots with it but its weakness is at the 300mm end at max aperture, where I most often needed it. I have since upgraded to the 70-300L, a thoroughbred by comparision. A lens that has never disappointed me and worth the extra money. Often reasonably priced lenses are poorest at the most wanted settings. Sadly quality mostly comes at a price.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Dec 2012 10:32PM
I don't know anything about Canon lenses but I would guess that, at this stage, you don't want to spend much more on a lens than your camera is worth. (That mindset will soon change if the bug really bites.) That being so, then I suspect that Mike's suggestion of a 70-300mm zoom is a great first step. You might find that there is both the Canon option and a Sigma alternative available.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.