Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lens adapters

sugarbird e2
10 223 South Africa
17 Dec 2006 9:23PM
Help please....Can I get a Sigma Zoom 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 from an oldish/ancient Pentax camera to fit my Canon 350 D, if so how much would I have to pay for the adapter..and is the quality the same? Thanks...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
17 Dec 2006 9:33PM
Hi Jill, as far as I know there are some adaptors around for the EOS range, Not sure about Pentax to EOS though.

Have a look in the Photography section on Ebay, They are not a lot of money, But you will probably have to work manual only as the electonics will not hook up.
sugarbird e2
10 223 South Africa
17 Dec 2006 9:48PM
Thanks so much, manual is fine, will give it a go...
GPTek e2
8 440 1 England
17 Dec 2006 9:51PM
Hi Jill
I use a Pentax 42mm screw / EOS adapter on a macro bellows unit which works well. As Cameracat recommends check Ebay, that's where I got mine. Don't forget everything will be manual, no connections. So the lens you are hoping to use will need an auto / manual switch to stop down the aperture for metering and capturing the image as well as the obvious manual focus. It's not a problem for me with the bellows as generally I'm working quite slowly, but with a telephoto...?

Geoff
sugarbird e2
10 223 South Africa
17 Dec 2006 9:59PM
Thanks Geoff, sounds comlpicated, pehaps I should just use the Pentax as is and go back to traditional photography as lots keep telling me to -Smile..but both digital and traditional will be good for me...
GPTek e2
8 440 1 England
17 Dec 2006 10:17PM
Well I guess you could leave the lens aperture shut down, but it would leave the viewfinder dark to focus.
Geoff
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
18 Dec 2006 12:38AM
If it's a Pentax K mount then, AFAIK, there are no adapters available. IIRC, this is due to the dirameter of the mount.

The following lenses can be adapted to EOS:

Nikon F, Nikon AI, M42 screw, Leica R, Contax, Olympus, Rollei, Tamron AD2..

The following are not adaptable:

Canon FD (the breech mount is too wide, Pentax K, Minolta MD...

Hang on, I've just checked a ebay and someone is selling Canon FD> Eos adapters in the US. I reckon from the picture that they will not focus a infinity or they will use a correction lens which will affect the IQ.

There's also a Minolta MD adapter advertised too. Since the Canon flange > sensor distance is 44mm and the Minolta uses 43.5, the adapter would need to be just 0.5mm thick. The adapter is actually 1mm thick so the lens will not focus to infinity. The ad states that it will only focus to 27 metres. Would be OK for a macro lens but limiting otherwise.

Some of the most recent Nikon adapters are chipped so that they give AF confirm and TTL Flash control.

So, if it's a PK bayonet mount it's one of the few that don't have any adapters available.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.