Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens Advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Warriorpoet
    12 Jan 2009 - 1:27 AM

I currently have two lenses. The sigma 10-20 and the canon 1.8 50mm prime. I am very happy with both. Especially the canon for it's image quality but am anxious to fill in the gap.
    I would welcome any suggestions on this. Although changing lenses can be a pain given what I have already the focal gap is not huge so I am leaning towards a prime. Just not sure which prime. Budget isn't an issue though I would prefer not to spend an absolute fortune as I have one of the 70-200 zooms on my wishlist too.
    Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2009 - 1:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
    conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2009 - 8:11 AM

Good suggestion. Here's an alternative: If you want to fill the gap completely, and don't mind a floating aperture of 2.8-4.5, the Sigma 17-70 would be a good choice. Recommended by many on here, including myself.

elowes
    elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2009 - 10:52 AM

Canon 17-55 F2.8. V. Good lens for the 40D. IS and constant 2.8. USM focusing for speed.

Canon 24-70 F2.8L or 24-105 F4 L if you are thinking of going or do have a full frame Canon.

samfurlong
    12 Jan 2009 - 10:58 AM

What he said (above).
    I have the canon 24-70 and it's really nice and sharp.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93429 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2009 - 11:02 AM

I fill the gap with a good 105mm macro lens. The quality is high enough to get sharp shots of really distant things without having to rush out and buy a cheap telephoto.

Warriorpoet
    12 Jan 2009 - 4:46 PM

Thanks folks. I guess since you mostly recommended zooms that's what I should be thinking in terms of. I am fairly sure I will be going full frame eventually but that will have to wait until I have all the other kit. With that in mind the 24-70 looks favourite. All I need is to rob a couple of banks to pay for it, but then I am also looking longingly at the 14mm prime at twice the price as the replacement for the 10-20 when I do go full frame and it's a snip compared to that.

Thanks again all

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.