Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lens caps on a filter?

Perry_95 e2
4 59 1 Wales
19 Mar 2011 11:52PM
Yes, i have never owned a lens filter, but since i am a junior i can not afford for my lens to be destroyed, so i will be ordering lens filters for my lenses. The question i am asking is can you put a lens cap over the top of a filter or not? Sorry for this question if it is stupid Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
19 Mar 2011 11:58PM
Provided that the lens filter you order is the same filter size as your lens (ie you're not using stepping rings to fit larger/smaller filters onto different sized lenses) then the lens cap will fit. The exception to this is the slimline filters (they cost more Wink) which don't have a front filter thread of their own and are aimed at reducing vignetting on super wider lenses.

Also note that filters are not always the best protection. A filter for protection will protect against small and light particles - dust, light mud, rain, sand, dirt etc... - and also allow you to fast clean the front without worry for your lens.
However they offer no protection at all against drops, heavy bumps, rocks, stones, paintballs, golfballs etc...
Filters are typically thin glass and will shatter with ease, which in turn sends lots of highly abrasive shattered glass all over your lenses glass. The glass on your typical lens is however considerably thicker.

Keep that in mind when using filters for protection - in addition remember that the best protection you have (esp for longer lenses) is your lens hood!
hollkj e2
10 196 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2011 12:16AM
Perry - if you're worried about protection then I've found in addition to filters (and on some lenses they are required to provide full protection from rain) its worth always fitting a lens hood. I've dropped a camera twice and the lens has been saved by the hood. Also have managed to scratch some of my hoods very badly - can only assume that this would have been the lenses had they not been there.

Overread is right in saying that filters typically let you use the original lens cap. I do have some ultra thin ones through that don't - these came with their own lens cap (and so they should the amount they cost Smile )

Personally I never understood people that spent 100's of pounds on lenses only to not worry about protecting them. The cost of a filter and hood is typically negligable compared to replacement or repare.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
20 Mar 2011 12:26AM
Aye - just remember that adding filters always increases the chance for lens flares in the setup (even good ones will increase the chance, just as adding anything else - like a teleconverter). Also remember the points about what it can and cannot protect against - there are many tales on the net of peoples lenses "saved" from a drop by the filter taking the hit and cracking. In truth the filter hasn't taken the hit - it just got in the way and broke and is now probably stuck onto the filter thread of the lens and also at risk of still causing scratches from its own broken glass.

Also - I've nothing against filters at all for protection - provided that you're putting high grade filters onto the front of the lenses. Low grade filters are not worth adding since they can make a serious degradation to the image quality - so good protection filters are still not cheap.
Perry_95 e2
4 59 1 Wales
20 Mar 2011 10:14AM
Okay, I will be getting, a lens hood for protection, two UV filters to protect against smudges and dust, a lens pen, and a giottos rocket blower. i have only two lenses however is it worth buying two lense hoods? they are the same size e.g. 52mm
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
20 Mar 2011 1:15PM
Lens hoods don't typically fit onto the filter threads of a lens and instead fit onto a bayonet on the lens itself. Also whilst filter sizes might be the same hood sizes can vary a lot in size and shape since certain lenses need a certain kind of shape in order to avoid the hood vignetting into the shot (typically many zooms need a petal head rather than a more traditional hood shape).

Check up on the hood shape and model numbers for your lenses.

There are hoods that will fit into the filter thread of a lens on the market (eg the rubbery hoods) however again you'll have to get the right shaped hood otherwise you'll get problems. Also note that these hoods are not as good for protection, because if they take a hit on the ground there is a good chance they'll get stuck onto the filter thread and cut it up.
Grampy e2
5 507 71 England
20 Mar 2011 3:29PM
When carrying my camera around I've found a lens cap made by deluxgear that is like a large rubber buffer with soft interior it fits most lenses and just slips over the lens covering the first two inches of the lens, I saw it at focus and wish I'd bought more. At last the end of those fiddly caps that half the time end up on the floor.
Phill
tnick e2
3 1
22 Mar 2011 1:19PM
Phill, Glad you're enjoying your Lens Guard. Thanks for the positive feedback. I recognize you from your photo, and remember seeing you at Focus, at the booth. If you ever decide you'd like another Lens Guard, you can check with Peter at (link removed) to find a retailer in the U.K.
And Perry_95, sounds like you're just getting started with photography. Here's wishing you many great shots!
- Tom

(link removed - no advertising in forums)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.