Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens choice to replace my old Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 on my new 60D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
bainsybike
12 Oct 2012 - 1:01 PM

The 15-85 is a good bit cheaper than the 24-105. You could buy a shorty forty as well, and still have change. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 1:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 1:04 PM

Quote: the red ring around the outside will not be visible in any of my photos

That should be a banner quote on most photo websites Grin

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64382 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Oct 2012 - 9:36 AM

Glad I found this thread. I've been looking for a walk-around lens and the 15-85 will replace two old lenses, the 28-105 non-IS (not digital) and the 18-55 non-IS kit lens. Excellent. I would've liked something a bit faster but the 4 stop IS looks after that to some extent, and you can't have everything.

I've been toying with the idea of the 18-55 2.8 but I know that zoom is not long enough and it's expensive too. So the 15-85 sounds just the ticket.
Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 13 Oct 2012 - 9:38 AM
_
_  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Oct 2012 - 10:09 AM

If you're looking for a good replacement for your 24-70 Sigma you would do well to have a serious look at the new Tamron 24-70 /2.8 with IS. It is sharp as a tack, every bit as sharp as the Mki Canon 24-70/2.8 and comes very close to giving the same quality as Canon's 2k mkii version of the 24-70
Something to watch for with the mki 24-70 from Canon is that it refuses to lock on to focus with the 1Dx in low light, CPS repair centres know about this issue and suggest upgrading to the Mkii. The problem is with the older electronics in the lens not being 100% compatible with the new electronics in the 1Dx. I know that not everyone will be using a 1Dx but when the flagship Canon is struggling with the old lens, who's to say that the lower models in the pipeline won't as well

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64382 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2012 - 2:26 PM

Just had a play with my new 15-85 and have to say so far, excellent. I wondered if the IS was working at first as it's so quiet, and the focussing is quick, sharp and noiseless. It feels very nicely balanced on the 60D.
SmileSmileSmile

SteveHunter
15 Oct 2012 - 2:35 PM

Thanks for that, the 15 - 85 is the one I have decided to go for. It seems to be the best lens about with the appropriate focal lengths for a cropped sensor.

Combining that with my existing Sigma 10 - 20 for when I want to go really wide, and the Canon 70 - 300L which I have just bought will give me a good coverage of the focal ranges I am looking for.

SlowSong
15 Oct 2012 - 3:09 PM

Yes. I have the 10-20 too which I use for inside work, and the "cover all eventualities" Tamron 18-270 for when I don't know what I'm going to be doing, but sometimes you don't want all that length and there's plenty of stretch with the 15-85 to cover most eventualities. I mostly do candids/street/documentary so I don't often need a long focal length and although a faster lens would be nice I don't really need it for outdoors stuff.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.