Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens Cleaning

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 7124 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 5:59 PM

Im just wondering what you guys all use to clean your lenses and filters, and what you all think is the best method. There is plenty of products out there to do this job and we all pay a small fortune buying our lenses etc so whats the best ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2012 - 5:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
28 Jul 2012 - 6:05 PM

First, I'd suggest that it's best to keep them clean. Mine are capped when not in use and have a UV filter fitted. I also treat the filters carefully because they're expensive, especially the 95mm size.

I use Calotherm spray and a very soft cloth.

justin c
justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 6:23 PM

A few good blasts with a rocket blower, then a light brush off to ensure any loose particles of grit, sand, etc. etc are completely removed, followed by a couple of drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid or Lee Filter cleaning solution applied with a Pec Pad, followed by a polish with a microfibre cloth.

Last Modified By justin c at 28 Jul 2012 - 6:23 PM
User_Removed
28 Jul 2012 - 7:42 PM

A bit a 'huh' of my breath and a wipe with the tail of my shirt or the corner of a handkerchief.

The same way I clean my specs...

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Jul 2012 - 7:42 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 8:00 PM

Stand mine in the bath and use the shower head.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96309 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 8:55 PM

Initially I use a blower ( Giotto ) then a lens cleaning cloth is usually all that is needed.

I also have microfibre cloth from Kenro which is better and excellent for drying condensation off the lens

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 9:27 PM

Quote: A bit a 'huh' of my breath and a wipe with the tail of my shirt or the corner of a handkerchief.

Wink

same for me Wink

User_Removed
28 Jul 2012 - 9:32 PM

Can't be doin' with this 'precious' modern approach Colin. All designed to extract money from wallet with little - if any - improvements.

Besides! The front element of a lens (and any filters attached Wink) are outside of the focus zone!!

So - short of a drop of bird droppings - nothings going to be seen on the finished image anyway!!

Wink Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Jul 2012 - 9:33 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 123135 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 9:39 PM

I use one of these without any problems.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=109...

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3798 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2012 - 10:01 PM

Pop into any SPECSAVERS outlet.....they stock excellent optical glass cleaning wipes at a very reasonable cost....they are packed in a dark green box.

Hobbo

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 - 10:11 PM

Nikon's advice is at https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

monstersnowman
29 Jul 2012 - 5:41 AM

I use a lenspen .. the brush removes abrasive particles then the pad miraculously removes greasy smear instantly when cloths tend to move them around before eventually cleaning them .... no liquid required at all. I find these more amazingly effective and infinitely better than cleaning liquid and cloth on eyepieces as the space is so small and you just cant do it easily with liquid and cloth but a couple of seconds with lenspen is perfect. I didnt like paying for it but it really works well. Having said that My Asda had them reduced at 3.33 ... BARGAIN !!!

Christographer_Hull

Lenspen!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2012 - 4:29 PM

Quote: Besides! The front element of a lens (and any filters attached Wink) are outside of the focus zone!!

Very true Mike Smile

I`ve been known to use the odd baby wipe to remove mud.

I was a bit nervous when I tried this for the first time to remove sand and salt water Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoskUtCnoY&feature=related

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2012 - 7:04 PM

Quote: A bit a 'huh' of my breath and a wipe with the tail of my shirt or the corner of a handkerchief.

Can't fault your approach MikeWink

Ditto, ditto, dittoTongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.