Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens Error

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    L2
    L2  2
    25 Jul 2012 - 2:03 PM

Hi Smile This is my first post.

My Mum bought a Coolpix L25 today, but only got to enjoy it for a short while Sad Unfortunately she dropped the camera onto the floor and now it has developed a problem. When its switched on with the power button, it still makes a little tune, then it buzzes and a white screen is displayed with a message 'Lens Error'.

The only way to access anything on the camera is to switch it on with the playback button. When I do this I can see a few photos and get into the menu for a few seconds. Then the white screen and Lens Error message appears again, and does not let me press any other buttons.

I took the batteries out and put them in again after a few minutes, I did this a couple of times but it made no difference. Switching it off and on makes no difference.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I don't want to send it to Nikon for repair as it would be too expensive.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Jul 2012 - 2:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2012 - 2:08 PM

I would suggest that the lens was damaged by the fall - I think the 'buzzing' you describe is the lens trying to extend or operate but failing. I'm not sure there is much you can do except a repair.

Is it covered by accidental damage cover on her household insurance or under her credit card policy (some have such cover)?

darrensmithgbr
    25 Jul 2012 - 3:35 PM

there is not much to do with it now on its own, you could have it repaired but might cost as much as a replacement. alternatively if you have the capabilities you could replace the lens. I have done this before and it worked fine, you can buy replacement units on ebay for example and these units are relatively simple to replace.

good luck

Last Modified By darrensmithgbr at 25 Jul 2012 - 3:36 PM
    sausage
    sausage  10234 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2012 - 4:53 PM

Are you covered on your household insurance?

Peter

mikehit
    mikehit  56338 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2012 - 4:58 PM

I think the excess will probably be more than the camera, or at best make it not viable to claim. The credit card could be one option.

steve_p
    steve_p  91097 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2012 - 5:51 PM

The only sensible answer for a camera of that price range would be to buy another one and get an accidental damage repair plan with it. It's not worth the hassle of replacing lenses. The excess on the majority of household plans, as has already been said, would not make it worthwhile .
    Incidentally,when I worked in a retailer, on several occasions I was asked if this type of thing was covered under warranty?!!

L2
    L2  2
    27 Jul 2012 - 3:35 PM

According to Nikon, if I can access the menu with the spanner symbol on it, I should be able to reset the camera. When I press the spanner button I get a list of choices up, but Reset is not included in this.

Wouldn't bother claiming on the house insurance - excess would be more than the camera's worth. And it might give the insurance company an excuse to raise the premiums next year. It was paid for in cash so the credit card cover would be no good. Lesson learned - accidental cover with the next electrical gadget.

So does anyone know how to reset the L25?

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    27 Jul 2012 - 9:19 PM

According to page 59 of the manual (http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/L26L25_EN.pdf) there should be a 'Reset all' option in that menu - you might need to scroll down to find it if you can't see it.

Last Modified By Sabreur at 27 Jul 2012 - 9:19 PM
    L2
    L2  2
    28 Jul 2012 - 9:20 AM

Thanks, trying that nowSmile Hopefully I'll get it to work.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.