Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Lens for D300 ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

Hi folks, I need some advice if you will please.

I'm going to purchase a new Nikon D300 on either Sunday or Monday.
I intend to get the camera and a flash speed light an also a battery grip. However I need a new lens to cover portraits of my family and some landscape shots as well, taking into consideration that I will be stitching pano's.
Is there anyone out there that can advice me on a good quality glass to fit this category . I want a lens with an F stop of 2 or 2.5. Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Nov 2007 - 8:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dathersmith
29 Nov 2007 - 9:41 PM

How about the new 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S IF ED DX or the 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S? I've just got a new D300 (but the wife has confiscated it as it's my Christmas present Smile ) and would love one of these lenses but can't afford one at the minute. I'm having to stick with my 10-20 Sigma and a 20-120 VR Nikkor for the moment.

Will keep a look out for your images with the D300 when you get it, can't wait to get my hands on mine. I know how the kids feel now.

Darren.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2007 - 9:47 PM

Not sure what lens you are looking for.

You state a f-stop of f/2 or f/2.5. Which seriously limits the choice if not a typo.

The 85mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 both great for portraits, but not overly useful for landscapes. They can be used for landscapes, but somehow I suspect this is not what you mean.

The 200mm f/2, great lens but not quite what you have in mind I suspect.

So is this a single all-encompassing lens or more than one that you seek?

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

I was looking at Nikons web site for a lens. I already have a nikon 70x300mm vr lens for motorsport, which I'm very happy with.

I was thinking of something like this coupled with maybe something like this whats other peoples ideas on this. The 24x70 may be a little expensive as this is a new lens, so are there any alternatives.

Richie.

Last Modified By Richardtyrrelllandscapes at 29 Nov 2007 - 10:05 PM
csurry
29 Nov 2007 - 10:02 PM

Ah well it's supposed to be very good. Don't have one myself so can't really comment. But shop around you can get it cheaper than that.

Same goes for the 85mm f/1.8.

Not really sure I see how that help landscapes or are we looking for two lenses Smile

Oh D300 and two lenses that is a good weekend.

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

If i could get one lens to do the job of two then I would be happy with that.
I'm just not clued up when it comes to good kit.

SteveCharles
29 Nov 2007 - 10:16 PM

If you're prepared to pay for the 28-70 2.8, you may as well get the 17-55 2.8, which I guess is more or less a DX version of it. The 28-70 won't be especially wide for landscapes.

I use the 17-55 on a D200, I was a little concerned about losing the very slight length advantage of the 18-70 I had before but it's very good quality and already proved fantastic for landscape, interiors and portraits (and a wedding).

As for the 50mm, it's cheap and you should have one anyway Wink

Steve

doug_7
doug_7  8482 forum posts England
30 Nov 2007 - 7:34 AM

[quote] I've just got a new D300 (but the wife has confiscated it as it's my Christmas present .

Best you tell your wife to open the box and give you the battery and charger, also the encyclopaedia of a manual so that you know what you are doing.
First time in my life that I have bought a camera without seeing/handling it first. This cam is awesome, only had a practice with the 1.4 50m so far and very pleased.

ShutterNutter
30 Nov 2007 - 9:00 AM

I would favour the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens - very versatile. The 85mm 1.8 lens takes some tweaking to get the colours to my taste - but unparallelled definition in portraits (if that is desired).

dathersmith
30 Nov 2007 - 9:30 AM

She won't let me near it Dougie but I'm one step ahead and have downloaded the PDF manual and am studying it ready for the big day. By the time I've sorted the kids out the battery will have charged I hope.

Darren.

csurry
30 Nov 2007 - 9:49 AM

Nah, the battery takes 16 hours on the first charge, you'll have to wait until Boxing Day.

dathersmith
30 Nov 2007 - 11:31 AM

Wow, you had me going there for a while Cheryl! Just checked the manual and it states 2.25 Hours for the first charge.

So the kids will be up at 5 o'clock (I'll wake them if they're not), they'll have opened their presents by 6 so I can open mine and the battery will be charged by 8:30. Bingo.

Darren.

csurry
30 Nov 2007 - 11:59 AM

Sorry 'bout that Darren, meant to post just kidding, but got distracted by having to do some work Wink

Did your heart miss a few beats in panic?

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2007 - 1:23 PM

Your cruel Cheryl, did you tell him you cant use the camera until its been connected to the internet and registered and that cant take up two days yet? Wink
(I AM JOKING)

Tommy

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

OK, now I'm not sure which lens/ lenses to get. I'll have to to wait and see whats on offer and what deals I can get on the day.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.