Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

lens for safari

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Aug 2011 - 8:34 AM

IOWAndy,
Sounds good to me fortunately with the firm paying for two trips I should get all the shots I want I'll have my laptop with me so downloading want be a problem plus i always carry three 8GB cards plus spare batteries.
As for the weight of kit as I will be taking a lot of equipment with me the firm will be paying all the excess baggage so I might as well take all I think I might need as it will not be costing me a penny

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Aug 2011 - 8:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Oct 2011 - 3:26 PM

Brought the first trip forward just got back.
As IOW suggested the 18-200 stayed on for 95% of the time in fact the 200-400 stayed locked in its case (far to dusty to risk a lens change).
Main problem was battery power carried two spares but power seemed to drain quicker than when in UK I wonder if this was due to heat/humidity or possibly intermittent power supply during recharging.
Anyone considering this trip I would suggest travel light Camera 18-200 or similar plus spare batteries and cards.
Its tempting to lug everything with you but beware most airlines are starting to toughen up on cabin luggage weight as well as size and they are not standardised at all.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
2 Nov 2011 - 12:17 PM

While hiring a 200-400 is no longer an issue 4 weeks rental is usually 2 to 2.5 times 1 weeks rent.
Calumet is one good source as they are not just London based.
The 200-400 will AF on your body - the 80-400 probably does not.
Digressing how is the 200-400 going to be insured in Africa?
If it gets damaged or stolen the owner is likely to expect you to put things right.
If the owner has it insured getting the policy extended (expect an extra premium) is likely to be the most cost effective method.
If the owner has it insured his insurers will not be very happy if there is a claim and learn their insured relinquished day to day control outside a member of the family without their OK of a 4,000 lens for 4 weeks.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2011 - 2:28 PM

I hired a Canon 100-400 and Canon 70-300L from Lensesforhire and insurance was included - but only for me using the lens. I found them very helpful in explaining insurance terms and their website has a link to their insurance broker.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2011 - 10:25 PM

Quote: I hired a Canon 100-400 and Canon 70-300L from Lensesforhire and insurance was included - but only for me using the lens. I found them very helpful in explaining insurance terms and their website has a link to their insurance broker.

Just curious, why take both a 100-400 and 70-300?

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2011 - 11:32 PM

I had hired the 100-400 for a trip to Orkney and when I returned I ordered the 70-300 to do a side by side comparison. In the end I bought the 100-400 because I already had the 70-200 IS.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.