Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Lens for Sports Photography ...

7 May 2013 1:31PM
I am looking to get into sports photography and wildlife photograpghy in the near future ... and I am currently using a Nikon D7000 - I know this is good enough of body - but the lens I have is a 70-300 AF nikon 4-5.6G which seems to work well when shooting baseball and soccer outdoors in sun light ... but taking it inside that is a different story ...

But with starting on a budget at the moment - buy a prime 2.8 lens is out of the question -

Just looking at what options I may have for my next adventure.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
7 May 2013 5:08PM
look at some sport images on here & see what lens's have been used , that should give you an idea.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 5:39PM
You've asked this question three times in different guises in the last few months so I would ask is there anything missing from previous replies?

What sports - I am presuming indoor hockey but expanding on that will help (indoor, outdoor)
what wildlife....birds, big/small mammals
how much can you afford?

Outdoor sports in decent light I would say the Sigma lenses would be a very good start, maybe the 120-300 or 120-400 and some rate the 150-500.
For indoor sports the 70-200 will likely be all you need.
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 7:44PM
It very much depends on the sport what you'll need, agree with Mike's suggestions, and also what you want to shoot as most lens can fulfil a role in a sport. e.g If you wanted to shoot football, you might need the 400mm f2.8 to isolate the player from the crowd on a football pitch, but then you'll also want a 70-200 on a second body for the action gets close to you, corners and penalty box action, and a third body mounted with a wide-angle on a wireless trigger for behind the goal action. As well as having in the bag a 24-70 & flashgun for group shots after the game, a fast 85mm and studio lighting for player portrait shots and a fisheye for getting close in the media scrum around the star player.

I know this is a Canon page and a few years old now, and you are after Nikon fit lenses, but if might give you some ideas: http://www.sportspictures.com/sports_photography_lens.html
RavenTepes 5 188 United States
12 May 2013 5:57AM

Quote:I am looking to get into sports photography and wildlife photograpghy in the near future ... and I am currently using a Nikon D7000 - I know this is good enough of body - but the lens I have is a 70-300 AF nikon 4-5.6G which seems to work well when shooting baseball and soccer outdoors in sun light ... but taking it inside that is a different story ...

But with starting on a budget at the moment - buy a prime 2.8 lens is out of the question -

Just looking at what options I may have for my next adventure.

You'll loose a couple stops of, but a quick fix would be to consider investing in a teleconverter. If I remember right, Nikon's line up of TC's won't pair well with the 70-300 without giving up auto focus, but I do believe Kenko Pro 300's will pair perfectly. But of course, I could be wrong...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.